Florence and the Machine's Florence Welch Has Tearful Glastonbury Triumph
Florence and the Machine singer Florence Welch choked backed tears as she thanked fans for their support during an emotion-charged set at the U.K.'s Glastonbury Festival on Friday, June 25. The British band first performed at the event in a tiny tent in 2007, and have returned each year since, playing higher on the bill each time.
And during their biggest show to date, on the 2010 festival's opening day, frontwoman Welch was overcome by emotion several times during the band's set. She even stopped the group during a rousing rendition of their hit "Dog Days Are Over", visibly fighting back tears as she told the crowd, "This is a pretty big moment for me. To start in a tent and then be here... it means a lot to be on this stage in front of you. I never want to leave."
Her 2010 Glastonbury performance was tinged with sadness, she had hoped to perform for her heroes in Fleetwood Mac. On a hunch, Welch worked out a new rendition of the supergroup's "The Chain" for her set, but Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and company weren't at the festival to cheer her on.
She told fans, "This is pretty much my favorite song of all time. All my heroes are in this band and I thought they were going to be here but they're not. We're never going to play it again. We hope you enjoy it Glastonbury, this one's just for you." Welch later hit the festival's main stage to perform her collaboration "You Got the Dirtee Love" with Dizzee Rascal just before Gorillaz's headlining slot.
Florence Welch wasn't the only one who had a blast at the event. Snoop Dogg made a triumphant return to the British live scene where he was joined onstage by Tinie Tempah and Blur and Gorillaz star Damon Albarn and British rapper Dizzee Rascal watched from the wings.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival