Robert Redford Urges Barack Obama to Use Oil Slick Crisis as Springboard for Green Nation
Longtime celebrity eco-warrior Robert Redford has called on U.S. President Barack Obama to use the oil slick crisis in the Gulf of Mexico as a springboard to making America a green nation. The movie star/director is appalled by the British Petroleum disaster which is still gushing gallons of oil into the sea off the coast of Louisiana, but claims he always knew the U.S.' dependency on the fuel would have disastrous consequences.
He tells U.S. news show Extra, "It was inevitable. It was never a question of if something like this was gonna happen, but when." Redford admits he grieves for those who have lost their livelihoods because of the slick, which has been confirmed as America's worst environmental disaster, saying "It breaks my heart for them; they did not deserve this."
But he is adamant all is not lost - Redford insists the oil spill could be the catalyst that transforms America into a green world leader. In a TV message directed at Obama, the actor says, "Grab this moment in history and get a decent energy policy... You can grab leadership and run with it."
"There's solar, wind, there are other solutions; we have to get the word out now... You can't get rid of oil; we're gonna need to work with oil for some time, but eventually it's gonna go out and where are we gonna be?"
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special