Jay-Z Asked to Testify Against Rick Ross
Former drug kingpin Ricky Ross is set to summon Jay-Z to testify in court as part of his copyright showdown with hip-hop star Rick Ross. The rapper, born William Leonard Roberts II, has been accused of adopting his stage name from the former cocaine trafficker, who became infamous for running a drug empire in Los Angeles in the 1980s.
Ross warned Roberts he would face a court battle if he did not change his moniker before the release of his upcoming album, and the ex-convict has kept his word - Ross' legal team filed a trademark infringement lawsuit on Friday, June 18 in the California U.S. District Court.
According to AllHipHop.com, Ross will ask rap legend Jay-Z to testify in the case as the "99 Problems" hitmaker was the boss of Def Jam records when Roberts was signed to the label in 2006.
The lawsuit also throws the release of Roberts' upcoming album "Teflon Don" into doubt as Ross is requesting a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction to block the release of the new record.
More Jay-Z News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal