Jay-Z Asked to Testify Against Rick Ross
Former drug kingpin Ricky Ross is set to summon Jay-Z to testify in court as part of his copyright showdown with hip-hop star Rick Ross. The rapper, born William Leonard Roberts II, has been accused of adopting his stage name from the former cocaine trafficker, who became infamous for running a drug empire in Los Angeles in the 1980s.
Ross warned Roberts he would face a court battle if he did not change his moniker before the release of his upcoming album, and the ex-convict has kept his word - Ross' legal team filed a trademark infringement lawsuit on Friday, June 18 in the California U.S. District Court.
According to AllHipHop.com, Ross will ask rap legend Jay-Z to testify in the case as the "99 Problems" hitmaker was the boss of Def Jam records when Roberts was signed to the label in 2006.
The lawsuit also throws the release of Roberts' upcoming album "Teflon Don" into doubt as Ross is requesting a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction to block the release of the new record.
More Jay-Z News
- Kevin Jonas Welcomes His Second Child With Wife Danielle
- Mariah Carey's Rep Reveals Lovers' Quarrel in Greece Leads to Her Split From James Packer
- 'Will and Grace' Revival in the Works
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back on After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone to Leave 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off
- Kristen Stewart and St. Vincent Make Red Carpet Debut as Couple at Vogue Event