Peter Gabriel Covers Tom Waits' Song for African Refugees
Peter Gabriel has covered Tom Waits' "In the Neighborhood" to raise awareness for refugees caught up in war zones like Uganda and the Congo. The Voice Project is an extension of Gabriel's recent "Scratch My Back" initiative, during which the British rocker and humanitarian recorded an album of cover songs with an orchestra and toured with it.
Now a group of like-minded artists hopes to record each other's tunes, inspired by a small group of widows and rape survivors in Uganda, who started singing songs in an effort to send musical messages of forgiveness to those abducted and forced to fight, many of whom hide in the bush, afraid to return home.
Gabriel says, "I love the idea that a song can reach people that can't be touched in any other way." He felt it was the perfect opportunity to perform one of his favorite songs: "I've wanted to sing Tom Waits' 'In the Neighborhood' for a long time and this was a great opportunity." Waits is so impressed with the cover, he has posted video of Gabriel performing it on his official website.
- Beyonce Is Performing at the 2016 MTV VMAs, MTV Confirms
- Britney Spears Reveals Her Desire to Collaborate With Ex Justin Timberlake
- Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
- Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
- Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
- Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?
- Rihanna to Open 2016 MTV Video Music Awards