Peter Gabriel Covers Tom Waits' Song for African Refugees
Peter Gabriel has covered Tom Waits' "In the Neighborhood" to raise awareness for refugees caught up in war zones like Uganda and the Congo. The Voice Project is an extension of Gabriel's recent "Scratch My Back" initiative, during which the British rocker and humanitarian recorded an album of cover songs with an orchestra and toured with it.
Now a group of like-minded artists hopes to record each other's tunes, inspired by a small group of widows and rape survivors in Uganda, who started singing songs in an effort to send musical messages of forgiveness to those abducted and forced to fight, many of whom hide in the bush, afraid to return home.
Gabriel says, "I love the idea that a song can reach people that can't be touched in any other way." He felt it was the perfect opportunity to perform one of his favorite songs: "I've wanted to sing Tom Waits' 'In the Neighborhood' for a long time and this was a great opportunity." Waits is so impressed with the cover, he has posted video of Gabriel performing it on his official website.
- Kanye West Gives Paralyzed Fan Custom Yeezy Boots
- Beyonce and Jay-Z Hire 18 New Staff for Twin Kids
- Blac Chyna Is Starring in Nicki Minaj's New Music Video
- Ryan Seacrest Is Officially Returning to 'American Idol'
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Leaked Photo Reveals Spider-Man and Doctor Strange's Scene