Peter Gabriel Covers Tom Waits' Song for African Refugees
Peter Gabriel has covered Tom Waits' "In the Neighborhood" to raise awareness for refugees caught up in war zones like Uganda and the Congo. The Voice Project is an extension of Gabriel's recent "Scratch My Back" initiative, during which the British rocker and humanitarian recorded an album of cover songs with an orchestra and toured with it.
Now a group of like-minded artists hopes to record each other's tunes, inspired by a small group of widows and rape survivors in Uganda, who started singing songs in an effort to send musical messages of forgiveness to those abducted and forced to fight, many of whom hide in the bush, afraid to return home.
Gabriel says, "I love the idea that a song can reach people that can't be touched in any other way." He felt it was the perfect opportunity to perform one of his favorite songs: "I've wanted to sing Tom Waits' 'In the Neighborhood' for a long time and this was a great opportunity." Waits is so impressed with the cover, he has posted video of Gabriel performing it on his official website.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special