Nicole Richie Gets Probation Extension Due to Motherhood
Nicole Richie has been granted an extension to her probation because motherhood has prevented her from completing court-ordered alcohol education classes. The socialite and fashion designer was taken into custody by California police in December, 2006 and charged with driving under the influence (DUI).
She was sentenced to four days behind bars in 2007 after confessing to using marijuana and powerful painkiller Vicodin, but served just 82 minutes of her jail term. She was also ordered to attend 38 alcohol education classes as part of her probation.
However, Richie has been unable to complete the requirement in the three years since she was sentenced after starting a family with rocker Joel Madden - the star was granted leave from the course when she gave birth to daughter Harlow in January, 2008, and son Sparrow in September, 2009. Her probation was due to end in July this year but her lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, headed to a Los Angeles court on Tuesday, June 22 to explain the delay in completing the classes and request extra time.
The judge approved Holley's request and Richie has now been given until March, 2011 to complete the classes, although her probation could be terminated early if she finishes them before the deadline, reports TMZ. And Richie will have another reason to be happy with the news of the extension - a report about her class attendance states, "Her attitude is excellent."
Holley has got her hands full with stars right now - she's also representing Lindsay Lohan.
- Find Out Why Psy Chose Apink's Na Eun for His 'New Face' MV
- Jo Kwon Wants a 2AM Reunion
- Tyga Spotted Wearing Matching Sneakers With Mystery Brunette
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom