Nicole Richie Gets Probation Extension Due to Motherhood
Nicole Richie has been granted an extension to her probation because motherhood has prevented her from completing court-ordered alcohol education classes. The socialite and fashion designer was taken into custody by California police in December, 2006 and charged with driving under the influence (DUI).
She was sentenced to four days behind bars in 2007 after confessing to using marijuana and powerful painkiller Vicodin, but served just 82 minutes of her jail term. She was also ordered to attend 38 alcohol education classes as part of her probation.
However, Richie has been unable to complete the requirement in the three years since she was sentenced after starting a family with rocker Joel Madden - the star was granted leave from the course when she gave birth to daughter Harlow in January, 2008, and son Sparrow in September, 2009. Her probation was due to end in July this year but her lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, headed to a Los Angeles court on Tuesday, June 22 to explain the delay in completing the classes and request extra time.
The judge approved Holley's request and Richie has now been given until March, 2011 to complete the classes, although her probation could be terminated early if she finishes them before the deadline, reports TMZ. And Richie will have another reason to be happy with the news of the extension - a report about her class attendance states, "Her attitude is excellent."
Holley has got her hands full with stars right now - she's also representing Lindsay Lohan.
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'
- Kanye West Is 'Humiliated' by Kim Kardashian's Deflated Butt
- Fergie Signs With BMG After Quitting Interscope
- Celine Dion, J.Lo, Mariah Carey and Backstreet Boys Will Not Cancel Vegas Shows Despite ISIS Threat
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Enjoy Night Out in Cannes
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Enjoying 'Wild Sex' in Cannes
- Mariah Carey Is Slammed by Co-Star for Alleged 'Bananas' Behaviour on 'The House' Filming Set
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Begins Mandatory Military Service