David Beckham Clears Up World Cup Intruder Report
David Beckham has spoken out about the moment he was confronted by an irate soccer fan who broke into the England team's dressing room on Friday, June 18 - insisting the players were never in danger. World Cup officials have tightened security at the tournament in South Africa after Londoner Londoner Pavlos Joseph entered the players' changing area - and took the opportunity to scold the squad after they failed to score three points in a match against Algeria.
Beckham, who was ruled out of the competition due to injury but has been supporting the team, received the brunt of Joseph's wrath but he's adamant the upset fan was not a threat. He says, "It was a very personal conversation... The actual fan literally just walked in very casually and just said something to me and then walked out - there was no scuffle, there was no aggression at all."
Speaking to reporters after the incident, Joseph reveals he told Beckham, "That (match) was woeful. David, we've spent a lot of money getting here. This is a disgrace. What are you going to do about it?" The 32 year old recalls, "The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The players' chins were on their chests - they looked pretty ashamed."
British royals Princes William and Harry were in the locker room just moments before Joseph burst in and they have laughed off the incident. William quips, "The guys went in the changing room pretty upset about how they played. But by the time we finished there were laughs and jokes - Harry and I acted like idiots... Harry and I left the door open. That's why it happened. It was our fault."
More David Beckham News
- Kate Gosselin Sends Son Collin Away to Get Help for 'Special Needs'
- Leslie Jones' Nude Photos and Personal Information Leaked After Her Website Got Hacked
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago