'New Moon' Star Alex Meraz Drops 45 Pounds for New Movie Role
"The Twilight Saga's New Moon" star Alex Meraz has dropped a scary 45 pounds (20.4 kilograms) to play a surfer wrongly convicted of smuggling drugs into Peru. The actor, who played wolfman Paul in the "Twilight" sequel, is almost unrecognizable as Nicaragua in gritty new film "The City of Gardens".
Meraz had to shed his musclebound look and lose almost a quarter of his bodyweight to play the surfer in director Camilo Vila's new film, which is based on a real story. The actor tells E! Online, "I didn't want to look like a Ken doll, you know what I mean?. It's a Peruvian prison in the '80s, which is nothing like an American prison. There's not much food. There are definitely no free weights to work out with. So I couldn't have a gym body."
Meraz stopped lifting weights, reduced his meal portions and even went on a juice diet while he was shooting. He adds, "I could see my heart beat through my chest." Meraz admits he's now trying to pack on the pounds again for the "Twilight" franchise's split "Breaking Dawn" films.
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism