Death Certificate Mentions Gary Coleman Did Not Want to Be Taken Off Life Support
A "closed head injury" complicated by "chronic renal failure" was listed as the cause of Gary Coleman's death by hospital staff who fought to keep the star alive after he suffered a brain hemorrhage. TMZ has obtained the death certificate detailing the circumstances around the "Diff'rent Strokes" star's passing and it shows Coleman's fall at his home in Utah in May and his congenital kidney disease both contributed to his death.
Coleman had two kidney transplants in 1973 and 1984, which required frequent dialysis and impacted his adult life, ultimately leading to his untimely death on May 28. The death certificate also lists the actor as being married, which contradicts recent reports he and partner Shannon Price divorced in 2008.
In another legal document, obtained by the website, Coleman signed healthcare papers stating he did not want to be taken off life support if he fell into a coma. In the 2006 document, he insists, "I want my life to be prolonged as long as possible within the limits of generally accepted health care standards."
It is not known whether these papers were still current at the time of Coleman's death. Price gave medics permission to turn off his life support system.
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest