Neil Mitchell of Wet Wet Wet Ordered to Attend Domestic Violence Classes
Wet Wet Wet's rocker Neil Mitchell has been ordered to attend domestic violence classes after pleading guilty to assaulting his girlfriend during an altercation in 2009. The Scottish keyboard player was arrested and charged with causing actual bodily harm in July last year, following an alcohol-fueled argument at Olivia Warren's home in Fulham, south-west London.
He initially pleaded not guilty to the count, but subsequently changed his plea in May this year, just hours before he was due to stand trial for the offense. Mitchell, 44, returned to Kingston Crown Court in Surrey, England on Monday, June 14, and the disgraced star used the opportunity to express his apologies via his lawyer, Jill Evans.
She told the court, "He accepts that he punched a woman in the face and that is something that he is deeply ashamed of." Judge Shani Barnes sentenced Mitchell to a two-year community order and ordered him to attend domestic violence classes for the attack, in which Warren suffered a black eye and bruised shoulder.
Delivering the sentence, Barnes told Mitchell, "It is shameful that you should come before the courts at all - let alone for using such violence against your partner. I have no doubt that you are a mild-mannered, gentle man by nature (but) domestic violence is never acceptable, even if the young woman gave as good as she got; the injuries she sustained were far more impactful than anything she could have done to you."
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes