Chris Tucker Accepts Special Honor on Michael Jackson's Behalf
Actor Chris Tucker will accept an award on behalf of late superstar Michael Jackson at the Apollo Theater's annual benefit concert in New York on Monday night, June 14. The late King of Pop and Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin will be named Apollo Legends at the gala on June 14, at the venue where Jackson launched his career with the Jackson Five at the Apollo's Amateur Night in the late 1960s.
Organizers had initially planned to hand Jackson's trophy to the late star's family, but it has now been confirmed that "Rush Hour" star Tucker will take the stage in their place to accept the prize, according to New York Post gossip column PageSix. Tucker was close friends with the late "Thriller" hitmaker and even appeared in his 2001 music video for "You Rock My World".
The event, which will be hosted by Jamie Foxx, will also honor Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony for their charity work and see performances from stars including British singer Estelle.
- 'Legends of Tomorrow' Actor Johnathon Schaech Wants to Be the Next Wolverine
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake Presents Rihanna With Video Vanguard Award
- MTV VMAs 2016: Jimmy Fallon Appears Onstage as Ryan Lochte, Throws Major Shade at Him
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Leads Full List of Winners With Six Trophies
- MTV VMAs 2016: Future Performs 'F**k Up Some Commas', Nick Jonas Brings 'Bacon'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Reenacts 'Lemonade' Visuals, Britney Spears Slays 'Make Me'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Alicia Keys Goes Make Up Free as She Honors MLK With a Poem
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech