Video: R. Kelly Performs at World Cup Opening Ceremony
R. Kelly officially kicked off the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa on Friday, June 11 with a rousing performance of the tournament's anthem "Sign of Victory". More than 84,000 soccer fans sang along at Soweto's Soccer City before the opening game between host nation South Africa and Mexico. Kelly headlined the pre-game spectacular with the Soweto Spiritual Singers.
South Africa's former leader Nelson Mandela, who was expected to be a big part of the concert, had to miss the celebrations following the death of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter. The teenager was killed in a car crash on her way home from Thursday's Kick-Off Concert party in Johannesburg.
Thandiswa Mazwai kicked off the music and dance spectacular before the opening game, and was followed by Algerian musician Khlaed, Nigeria's Femi Kuti and African music legend Hugh Masekela, among others, on a revolving stage in the middle of the pitch.
- Gigi Hadid Sparks Zayn Malik Engagement Rumors With New Ring on That Finger
- Jerry Seinfeld's 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' Moves to Netflix
- Liam Payne Offers Fan a Date With Him in Malibu. Find Out How to Win the Special Prize
- Angelina Jolie Receives Heartfelt Plea From Zahara's Biological Mom to Reconnect With Daughter
- Fiona Apple Releases New Anti-Trump Track 'Tiny Hands'
- Donald Trump Tweets Wrong Ivanka. Find Out How She Reacts
- Here's Ben Affleck's Reaction to Viral #SadAffleck Meme
- Ali Fedotowsky on Corinne's Raunchy Acts on 'Bachelor': 'I Find That Truly Sad'