Video: R. Kelly Performs at World Cup Opening Ceremony
R. Kelly officially kicked off the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa on Friday, June 11 with a rousing performance of the tournament's anthem "Sign of Victory". More than 84,000 soccer fans sang along at Soweto's Soccer City before the opening game between host nation South Africa and Mexico. Kelly headlined the pre-game spectacular with the Soweto Spiritual Singers.
South Africa's former leader Nelson Mandela, who was expected to be a big part of the concert, had to miss the celebrations following the death of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter. The teenager was killed in a car crash on her way home from Thursday's Kick-Off Concert party in Johannesburg.
Thandiswa Mazwai kicked off the music and dance spectacular before the opening game, and was followed by Algerian musician Khlaed, Nigeria's Femi Kuti and African music legend Hugh Masekela, among others, on a revolving stage in the middle of the pitch.
- Colin Farrell Joins Tim Burton's 'Dumbo' live-Action Movie
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction