Video: R. Kelly Performs at World Cup Opening Ceremony
R. Kelly officially kicked off the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa on Friday, June 11 with a rousing performance of the tournament's anthem "Sign of Victory". More than 84,000 soccer fans sang along at Soweto's Soccer City before the opening game between host nation South Africa and Mexico. Kelly headlined the pre-game spectacular with the Soweto Spiritual Singers.
South Africa's former leader Nelson Mandela, who was expected to be a big part of the concert, had to miss the celebrations following the death of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter. The teenager was killed in a car crash on her way home from Thursday's Kick-Off Concert party in Johannesburg.
Thandiswa Mazwai kicked off the music and dance spectacular before the opening game, and was followed by Algerian musician Khlaed, Nigeria's Femi Kuti and African music legend Hugh Masekela, among others, on a revolving stage in the middle of the pitch.
More R. Kelly News
- Get New Details of Kristen Stewart and Alicia Cargile's Upcoming Nuptials
- Britney Spears on Performing at 2017 Super Bowl Halftime Show: 'I Would' Do That Again!
- Amanda Bynes Returns to Twitter, Updates Fans About Her School Life
- Courteney Cox Regrets Having Plastic Surgery
- 'Jack Ryan' Series to Tackle ISIS in Season 1, John Krasinski Reveals
- Jennifer Lopez and Casper Smart Break Up Again!
- 'Nashville' Season 5 Gets Premiere Date at CMT
- Doug Liman Abandons 'Gambit' Movie, Will Now Direct 'Justice League Dark'