Video: R. Kelly Performs at World Cup Opening Ceremony
R. Kelly officially kicked off the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa on Friday, June 11 with a rousing performance of the tournament's anthem "Sign of Victory". More than 84,000 soccer fans sang along at Soweto's Soccer City before the opening game between host nation South Africa and Mexico. Kelly headlined the pre-game spectacular with the Soweto Spiritual Singers.
South Africa's former leader Nelson Mandela, who was expected to be a big part of the concert, had to miss the celebrations following the death of his 13-year-old great-granddaughter. The teenager was killed in a car crash on her way home from Thursday's Kick-Off Concert party in Johannesburg.
Thandiswa Mazwai kicked off the music and dance spectacular before the opening game, and was followed by Algerian musician Khlaed, Nigeria's Femi Kuti and African music legend Hugh Masekela, among others, on a revolving stage in the middle of the pitch.
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal