Former Manager Hits Back at Britney Spears' Mom in Defamation Appeal
Britney Spears' former manager Sam Lutfi has fired back at the pop star's mum in the pair's ongoing legal battle over controversial comments she made in her 2009 memoir "Through the Storm". Lutfi filed suit against the "Toxic" hitmaker, her mum Lynne and dad Jamie in February 2009, accusing them of defamation, libel, battery, breach of contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
He alleges comments Lynne Spears made in her book "Through The Storm", in which she branded him a "Svengali", a "fake", and a "predator", subjected him to public ridicule. Lynne fought to have the case dismissed citing the U.S. Constitution's freedom of speech, arguing that Lutfi's reputation could not be tarnished any further after he was accused of aiding the singer's downfall, which led to her public breakdown in 2008.
Her claim was rejected by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge in August 2009 but the Spears family matriarch filed an appeal against that decision in May 2010, and now Lutfi has outlined his argument to continue the case.
In new legal papers filed in a California appeals court on Monday, June 7, Lutfi's lawyer alleges Britney's life had already begun to spiral out of control before he was hired as her manager, highlighting events including her two failed marriages, a stint in rehab and her reckless driving arrest in 2007. The attorney adds that Lutfi has never been convicted of any crime and counters that a jury should decide the case.
More Britney Spears News
- Alex Rodriguez Bans J.Lo From Talking to Ex Casper Smart
- 'KUWTK': Lisa Rinna's Family to Replace the Kardashians
- Selena Gomez Fears Run-In With Ex Justin Bieber at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Find Out Why Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Bans Kanye West From Mexican Trip
- Report: Angelina Jolie Is Using Black Magic to Get Revenge From Brad Pitt
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'