Backstreet Boys Follow Korn in Boycotting British Petroleum
Backstreet Boys have formed an unlikely alliance with rockers Korn and joined their call to boycott fuel giants British Petroleum to protest the devastating oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico. The spill from the BP rig, which exploded in April, has been declared the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history, prompting Korn to show their disdain by banning their tour bus drivers from filling up at BP gas pumps while on the road this summer.
Frontman Jonathan Davis said, "We need to do our part to let BP know there are consequences for causing something like this. We want to send a message to corporations like BP so that they will take more preventative measures in the future." He further stated, "The more costly their punishment, the more money they will spend to make sure disasters like this don't happen again. It's plain and simple capitalism."
Backstreet Boys recently performed a gig in Biloxi, Mississippi, where they witnessed the extent of the oil spill for themselves, and singer Nick Carter admits he was left heartbroken by the slight of the animals caught up in the mess. He says, "I'm devastated by what I've seen first hand and on the news. I've always been a marine activist and seeing pictures of oil-covered animals breaks my heart."
And his band mate Brian Littrell is calling on their fellow musicians to follow Korn's lead. He adds, "We just played Biloxi last week and I have to tell you people are really worried down there. This boycott is about making a statement, letting people know how we feel and to stand for something."
More Backstreet Boys News
- Calvin Harris Is Back on Social Media Following Car Accident, Posts Almost Naked Pic
- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Welcome First Child
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope