Backstreet Boys Follow Korn in Boycotting British Petroleum
Backstreet Boys have formed an unlikely alliance with rockers Korn and joined their call to boycott fuel giants British Petroleum to protest the devastating oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico. The spill from the BP rig, which exploded in April, has been declared the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history, prompting Korn to show their disdain by banning their tour bus drivers from filling up at BP gas pumps while on the road this summer.
Frontman Jonathan Davis said, "We need to do our part to let BP know there are consequences for causing something like this. We want to send a message to corporations like BP so that they will take more preventative measures in the future." He further stated, "The more costly their punishment, the more money they will spend to make sure disasters like this don't happen again. It's plain and simple capitalism."
Backstreet Boys recently performed a gig in Biloxi, Mississippi, where they witnessed the extent of the oil spill for themselves, and singer Nick Carter admits he was left heartbroken by the slight of the animals caught up in the mess. He says, "I'm devastated by what I've seen first hand and on the news. I've always been a marine activist and seeing pictures of oil-covered animals breaks my heart."
And his band mate Brian Littrell is calling on their fellow musicians to follow Korn's lead. He adds, "We just played Biloxi last week and I have to tell you people are really worried down there. This boycott is about making a statement, letting people know how we feel and to stand for something."
More Backstreet Boys News
- Silver Sable and Black Cat Movie Rumored to Have Spider-Woman
- Scott Disick Spotted Flirting With Sofia Richie on Yacht in Cannes
- Jaden Smith Accuses Canadian Hotel of Spiking His Food
- Alex Rodriguez Signs Deal With ABC News as Contributor
- Joaquin Phoenix and Diane Kruger Win Best Actor and Actress at Cannes 2017
- Miranda Kerr Marries Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel in Backyard Ceremony
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'