Lindsay Lohan Asks Judge to Delay Court Trial
Lindsay Lohan's attorney is appealing to a Los Angeles judge to delay the start of a civil trial stemming from the actress' 2007 arrest for driving under the influence (DUI) because he fears jury members will struggle to remain impartial. The "Mean Girls" star is being sued by three men who have accused her of kidnapping and endangering their lives when she allegedly jumped into a vehicle they were passengers in and took off on a wild ride through Malibu, California.
She was forced to give a deposition in May after skipping two voluntary hearings, and the case is due to go to trial. But Lohan's lawyer Ed McPherson wants the trial to be postponed, arguing that the daily press coverage of his client's personal troubles make it impossible for a jury to rule fairly and without influence from the media.
He also highlights the public's negative attitude towards Lohan and her legal battles, insisting people are watching and waiting for her to fail. In legal papers obtained by TMZ.com, McPherson states, "Every facet of the criminal proceeding and every facet of Ms. Lohan's life... have been reported on TMZ and other media outlets literally on a daily (and sometimes hourly) basis."
"There are current widespread public feelings of intense negativity against Ms. Lohan..." McPherson is expected to file the documents in a Los Angeles court on Wednesday, June 9. Lohan is currently fighting allegations she violated the terms of her probation relating to her 2007 arrest after her alcohol-monitoring ankle bracelet was set off during a star-studded event in Hollywood on Sunday, June 6.
Last month, a judge ordered the actress to abstain from drugs and alcohol for the foreseeable future after she failed to complete an alcohol awareness course, which was handed to her as part of her sentence in 2007.
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Rashad Jennings and Normani Kordei Are Neck-and-Neck
- New 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Photos: See Dany's 747-Sized Dragon in War!
- Trying to Make Kourtney Kardashian Jealous, Scott Disick Jets Off to Cannes With Bella Thorne
- Amber Rose Flaunts Major Sideboob and Butt in Tiny Bodysuit
- Explosion at Ariana Grande's Gig in Manchester Killed 19 People, Injured 50 Others
- Tom Holland Lands Lead Role in Video Game Adaptation 'Uncharted'
- Katy Perry Unmasks Her Real Self in 'Witness' Video Teaser
- Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem Officially Join Tom Cruise in Universal's Monster Film 'Dark Universe'