Rage Against the Machine's Zack de la Rocha 'Mildly Entertained' by 'The X Factor'
Rage Against the Machine frontman Zack de la Rocha has made a stunning confession - he watches "The X Factor" and finds it "mildly entertaining". The rap-rock group was at the forefront of a huge backlash against Simon Cowell's hit TV talent show last year when their 1992 anthem "Killing in the Name" snatched Britain's coveted Christmas number one spot from series winner Joe McElderry.
They staged a free gig in London on Sunday, June 6 to thank fans for their support, and the chart success has left them at the forefront of the growing campaign against reality TV shows. But de la Rocha has shockingly confessed he enjoys tuning in to both "The X Factor" and "American Idol" - and has even insisted his hostility is not directed at Cowell.
He tells Britain's NME magazine, "I'd be lying to say I don't watch the show. It can be mildly entertaining, but for the most part The X Factor is to modern music what McDonald's is to food: you take a few bites of your Big Mac and it tastes good and after the sixth one it tastes like s**t and you feel awful and you wanna go and do some exercise."
"To me that's what The X Factor is - it's cheap, indigestible and flies in the face of what is interesting about culture... In the U.K. it seems there aren't as many choices when it comes to the mainstream. It's not about Simon Cowell, but it's about what he represents."
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger
- 'Don't Breathe' Scares 'Suicide Squad' Away From Box Office's No. 1
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake, Calvin Harris and Fifth Harmony Among Early Winners
- MTV VMAs 2016: Watch Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's Performances
- Ariana Grande Confirms She's Dating Mac Miller at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Frank Ocean Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Blonde'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet