Dennis Hopper's Kid Didn't Attend Funeral Due to Parents' Rift
Dennis Hopper's young daughter was forced to miss the star's funeral last week because of the raging divorce battle between her parents at the time of her father's death. Galen Grier, seven, was not present when the "Easy Rider" star was laid to rest in Taos, New Mexico in a service which was attended by his other family members and closest friends.
Hopper had been locked in a bitter legal battle with Galen's mother, his fifth wife Victoria Duffy, since filing divorce papers earlier this year, shortly after he went public with his cancer diagnosis. The actor's attorney, Joe Mannis, contacted Duffy's representatives to arrange for Galen to attend the ceremony but Duffy allegedly declined, according to TheDailyBeast.com.
Mannis' email, obtained by the website, reads: "As your client knows, the funeral for Mr. Hopper will be where he wanted to be buried in Taos, New Mexico. As your client also knows... she is not invited to the funeral. It was Mr. Hopper's specific wish that Ms. Hopper not attend his funeral."
"Ms. Hopper has indicated that she is not going to allow Galen to attend the funeral unless she attends. Mr. Hopper's family (particularly after what was said about them in the press by Ms. Hopper) does not wish that Ms. Hopper attend the funeral. On the family's behalf, I request that (her nanny) be allowed to bring Galen to the funeral and return her thereafter. Please let me know whether your client will consent to do what I can only call the 'decent thing'."
Duffy's relatives claim the couple's daughter was "disinvited" from the service. The legal wrangling between Hopper's lawyer and Duffy is expected to continue - she has reportedly filed a claim against the late actor's estate to gain a financial settlement.
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues
- First Look at Miley Cyrus as Hippie in Woody Allen's 'Crisis in Six Scenes'
- Drake and Rihanna Kiss on Instagram, Enjoy Date Night After VMAs