NPH Defends Casting Vanessa Hudgens for 'Rent'
Neil Patrick Harris has defended his decision to cast Vanessa Hudgens in his upcoming stage directorial debut "Rent", insisting she will be "absolutely amazing" in the role. The former High School Musical star is set to play 19-year-old Mimi, a troubled HIV-positive stripper, in the musical when it hits the Hollywood Bowl for three nights this summer.
Harris, who starred in the Los Angeles production of "Rent" 1997, admits he is stunned by the backlash he's received from the play's cult fans, but he's adamant Hudgens, 21, is perfect for the part. He says, "I'm excited about Vanessa Hudgens. Everybody has gotten real prickly about it (since) I announced it. I don't know (why). I think she's amazing. Big RENT fanatics were like, 'Blasphemy! That's an outrage!' "
"I worked with Vanessa in a movie called Beastly that's coming out soon and I really liked her work ethic. She came in (to audition) and sang well... She's going to be absolutely amazing."
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent