'3 Idiots' Wins Big at International Indian Film Awards
Bollywood director Rajkumar Hirani was the toast of the International Indian Film Awards on Saturday, June 5, with his movie "3 Idiots" winning 16 trophies. The movie, starring Aamir Khan, broke box office records upon its release in India last year and swept the board at the annual ceremony in Sri Lanka, taking more than half of the 27 awards.
It won the main nods for Best Director and Best Film, as well as a string of others including Male Performance in a Supporting Role for actor Sharman Joshi. However, the event was overshadowed by political protesting, which kept many of the top winners away.
Amitabh Bachchan, who was named Best Actor for his role in "Paa", was absent from the ceremony to support locals protesting against the treatment of Sri Lanka's Tamil citizens, many of whom are said to have died during the country's civil war which ended last year.
But some of the Bollywood stars who came to the event defended their presence at the movie awards. Shatrughan Sinha explains, "We are not representing north, east, west or south India, but I am representing the whole of India for that matter as a world citizen... And our only caste, our only religion, is entertainment."
- Madonna Is 'Getting Serious' With Her New Toy Boy
- Is Angelina Jolie Adopting More Children Following Brad Pitt Divorce?
- Is Kim Kardashian Exiting 'KUWTK' for Politics?
- Rita Ora Releases New Single 'Your Song'
- Beyonce Demands a Silent Birth
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018