Orlando Bloom Struggling With Dyslexia
British actor Orlando Bloom has fought hard to earn his place as an A-list star - because his ongoing battle with dyslexia means he struggles to read scripts and memorize his lines. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star, 33, opened up about his learning disability in a talk at Rockefeller University in New York on Wednesday, June 2.
Bloom, who was supported at the event by his supermodel girlfriend Miranda Kerr, told the audience he has worked hard to overcome his difficulties - and credits his mother with pushing him to succeed, according to the New York Daily News. He said, "It's still an ongoing struggle. I have more trouble studying scripts and memorizing lines than most (other actors)."
"My mum used to tell me, 'If you read 50 books, I'll get you a motorbike.' So it inspired me to read a lot and work through (my dyslexia). But I never quite got to 50. And I never got that motorbike!" The lecture, titled Dyslexia and Creativity: Two Sides of the Same Coin, was held to raise awareness about the condition among teachers, mental health professionals and parents.
More Orlando Bloom News
- Katy Perry Is the Most-Followed Person on Twitter With Record-Breaking 90 Million Followers
- Here's Nick Young's Response to Iggy Azalea's Cheating Claims
- First Image From 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' Season 2 Reveals Surprising New Ally
- Drake Caught Leaving Rihanna's Hotel Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- Lady GaGa Is Finally a Licensed Driver
- Check Out the New Drift in 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Louis Tomlinson Blasts Media, Asks Them to Respect Son's Privacy Amid Custody Battle
- Iggy Azalea Receives Flowers From Nick Young's Teammate D'Angelo Russell After Breakup?