Orlando Bloom Struggling With Dyslexia
British actor Orlando Bloom has fought hard to earn his place as an A-list star - because his ongoing battle with dyslexia means he struggles to read scripts and memorize his lines. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star, 33, opened up about his learning disability in a talk at Rockefeller University in New York on Wednesday, June 2.
Bloom, who was supported at the event by his supermodel girlfriend Miranda Kerr, told the audience he has worked hard to overcome his difficulties - and credits his mother with pushing him to succeed, according to the New York Daily News. He said, "It's still an ongoing struggle. I have more trouble studying scripts and memorizing lines than most (other actors)."
"My mum used to tell me, 'If you read 50 books, I'll get you a motorbike.' So it inspired me to read a lot and work through (my dyslexia). But I never quite got to 50. And I never got that motorbike!" The lecture, titled Dyslexia and Creativity: Two Sides of the Same Coin, was held to raise awareness about the condition among teachers, mental health professionals and parents.
More Orlando Bloom News
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors