Orlando Bloom Struggling With Dyslexia
British actor Orlando Bloom has fought hard to earn his place as an A-list star - because his ongoing battle with dyslexia means he struggles to read scripts and memorize his lines. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star, 33, opened up about his learning disability in a talk at Rockefeller University in New York on Wednesday, June 2.
Bloom, who was supported at the event by his supermodel girlfriend Miranda Kerr, told the audience he has worked hard to overcome his difficulties - and credits his mother with pushing him to succeed, according to the New York Daily News. He said, "It's still an ongoing struggle. I have more trouble studying scripts and memorizing lines than most (other actors)."
"My mum used to tell me, 'If you read 50 books, I'll get you a motorbike.' So it inspired me to read a lot and work through (my dyslexia). But I never quite got to 50. And I never got that motorbike!" The lecture, titled Dyslexia and Creativity: Two Sides of the Same Coin, was held to raise awareness about the condition among teachers, mental health professionals and parents.
More Orlando Bloom News
- Gisele Bundchen Gets Shirtless Assistant Taking Care of Her Booty During Photo Shoot
- Beyonce Remembers Aaliyah 15 Years Later With Sweet Throwback Video
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Kills Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'