Orlando Bloom Struggling With Dyslexia
British actor Orlando Bloom has fought hard to earn his place as an A-list star - because his ongoing battle with dyslexia means he struggles to read scripts and memorize his lines. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" star, 33, opened up about his learning disability in a talk at Rockefeller University in New York on Wednesday, June 2.
Bloom, who was supported at the event by his supermodel girlfriend Miranda Kerr, told the audience he has worked hard to overcome his difficulties - and credits his mother with pushing him to succeed, according to the New York Daily News. He said, "It's still an ongoing struggle. I have more trouble studying scripts and memorizing lines than most (other actors)."
"My mum used to tell me, 'If you read 50 books, I'll get you a motorbike.' So it inspired me to read a lot and work through (my dyslexia). But I never quite got to 50. And I never got that motorbike!" The lecture, titled Dyslexia and Creativity: Two Sides of the Same Coin, was held to raise awareness about the condition among teachers, mental health professionals and parents.
More Orlando Bloom News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media