James D'Arcy Tapped to Portray King Edward VIII in 'W.E.'
The Queen of Pop has found her king - Madonna has cast Brit actor James D'Arcy as King Edward VIII in her upcoming royal biopic "W.E." The "Material Girl" is sitting in the director's chair for a second time to tell the story of the former British monarch, who abdicated the throne after falling in love with American divorcee Wallis Simpson.
The woman who rocked the royal family will be played by British actress Andrea Riseborough, best known for her TV portrayal of former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, while Aussie beauty Abbie Cornish will play a modern wife who compares herself to Wallis.
Now Madonna has chosen "An American Haunting" star D'Arcy to take on the role of King Edward. Producer Colin Vaines says, "We've found the right cast for this picture. The addition of James is wonderful as he's got such charisma and possesses a regal quality that he can capture. There was a real chemistry between him and Andrea."
The pop superstar wrote the screenplay for the movie with Alek Keshishian, the man behind her revealing 1991 documentary "In Bed With Madonna".
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom
- Celebrity Police Unit to Be Discontinued Following Big Bang's T.O.P's Marijuana Scandal
- Cara Delevingne Says She Wants to Be James Bond Amid Bond Girl Rumors
- Johnny Depp Demands Claim He Has 'Psychological Issues' Removed From Court Record