James D'Arcy Tapped to Portray King Edward VIII in 'W.E.'
The Queen of Pop has found her king - Madonna has cast Brit actor James D'Arcy as King Edward VIII in her upcoming royal biopic "W.E." The "Material Girl" is sitting in the director's chair for a second time to tell the story of the former British monarch, who abdicated the throne after falling in love with American divorcee Wallis Simpson.
The woman who rocked the royal family will be played by British actress Andrea Riseborough, best known for her TV portrayal of former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, while Aussie beauty Abbie Cornish will play a modern wife who compares herself to Wallis.
Now Madonna has chosen "An American Haunting" star D'Arcy to take on the role of King Edward. Producer Colin Vaines says, "We've found the right cast for this picture. The addition of James is wonderful as he's got such charisma and possesses a regal quality that he can capture. There was a real chemistry between him and Andrea."
The pop superstar wrote the screenplay for the movie with Alek Keshishian, the man behind her revealing 1991 documentary "In Bed With Madonna".
- Colton Haynes and Fiance Jeff Leatham Get Engaged Again. See Their Matching Rings
- The Weeknd Teams Up With Drake to Perform 'Crew Love' at Toronto Show for the First Time in 3 Years
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are House-Hunting in Norfolk
- Emmy Rossum and 'Mr. Robot' Creator Sam Esmail Tie the Knot in Intimate Ceremony. See the Pics!
- Caitlyn Jenner Says She's Never 'Entirely Comfortable' Having Sex With Kris
- 'Logan Lucky' First Trailer: Channing Tatum, Daniel Craig and Adam Driver Plan a Heist
- Sofia Richie Shuts Down Scott Disick Dating Rumors: We Are Just 'Homies'
- Pictures of Pippa Middleton and James Matthews' Tropical Honeymoon Surface