M.I.A. Refuses to Become the Face of Coca-Cola and Pepsi
Hip-hop star M.I.A. has turned down offers to become the face for both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, but insists she'll accept a commercial deal soon - to help fund her proteges' careers. The "Paper Planes" hitmaker has become an in-demand pitchwoman - but she's not ready to "sell out" just yet.
She says, "One day, I'm going to lose the battle and just be like, 'F**k it,' and say yes... but I want to be able to be like, 'Yeah, I made a sacrifice, but at least I have about 10 other people behind me who are worth it and who are going to benefit from that money.'"
On M.I.A.'s roster of talent are cult indie act Sleigh Bells and rapper Rye Rye.
In another related news, M.I.A. said she won a place at esteemed London arts college Saint Martins after threatening to become a prostitute if she wasn't accepted. The "Galang" hitmaker was one of only 20 students selected to study film at the exclusive school, and she admits she used her street smarts to get her place.
She tells Nylon magazine, "I said, 'If you don't (accept me), you're going to change my life completely, because I'm going to go outside and get on the bus, and I'll be a crackhead prostitute and go to jail. And three years from now, I'll come out of jail and make the best film.'"
Her tough approach worked. She adds, "I was the only brown person (there)."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!