M.I.A. Refuses to Become the Face of Coca-Cola and Pepsi
Hip-hop star M.I.A. has turned down offers to become the face for both Coca-Cola and Pepsi, but insists she'll accept a commercial deal soon - to help fund her proteges' careers. The "Paper Planes" hitmaker has become an in-demand pitchwoman - but she's not ready to "sell out" just yet.
She says, "One day, I'm going to lose the battle and just be like, 'F**k it,' and say yes... but I want to be able to be like, 'Yeah, I made a sacrifice, but at least I have about 10 other people behind me who are worth it and who are going to benefit from that money.'"
On M.I.A.'s roster of talent are cult indie act Sleigh Bells and rapper Rye Rye.
In another related news, M.I.A. said she won a place at esteemed London arts college Saint Martins after threatening to become a prostitute if she wasn't accepted. The "Galang" hitmaker was one of only 20 students selected to study film at the exclusive school, and she admits she used her street smarts to get her place.
She tells Nylon magazine, "I said, 'If you don't (accept me), you're going to change my life completely, because I'm going to go outside and get on the bus, and I'll be a crackhead prostitute and go to jail. And three years from now, I'll come out of jail and make the best film.'"
Her tough approach worked. She adds, "I was the only brown person (there)."
More M.I.A. News
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake