Kristen Stewart Receives Harsh Criticism Over 'Rape' Comment
Kristen Stewart has come under fire from officials at a leading U.S. charity after she compared press intrusion to rape. The "Twilight" actress opens up about her experiences in the spotlight and her dislike of the paparazzi in the latest edition of Britain's Elle magazine.
She tells the publication, "The photos are so... I feel like I'm looking at someone being raped. A lot of the time I can't handle it. I never expected that this would be my life." But her comments have sparked outrage in America, with many charity campaigners slamming the actress for her remarks.
Margaret Lazarus, executive director of RapeIs.org, tells Fox News, "Rape is a violation in which one has no choice. A star seeking publicity has choices. Although rape involves loss of privacy, loss of privacy does not constitute rape. Let's use a little logical thinking here."
And Stewart, who played a rape victim in 2004 movie "Speak", has also angered bosses of America's Rape and Incest National Network charity. Spokesperson Katherine Hull adds, "Kristen Stewart's comments are regrettable. Portraying a rape survivor in the film Speak should have led her to use a more appropriate metaphor to describe the intrusive nature of the paparazzi. Rape is more than an intrusion, it's a violent crime, that causes serious long term mental health effects for victims."
In another interview, Kristen Stewart said she is keen to make her theatrical debut after watching her pal Eddie Redmayne perform in London's West End. The "Twilight" star admits she was captivated when she saw the actor in the drama Red, and she's contemplating trying her hand at theater in the near future - although she insists any play she signs on for will be "a really small one". She tells Vogue magazine, "Unlike movie acting, you have to deliver the whole performance there and then. You live it every night."
More Kristen Stewart News
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?