California's First Lady to Honor Oprah Winfrey
TV titan Oprah Winfrey will be honored with a special award at the California Women's Conference in October. The talk show legend will be handed the Minerva Award by California's first lady Maria Shriver at the event, which celebrates powerful females who drive change in U.S. society.
Winfrey has been chosen by organizers of the conference for serving "on the frontlines of humanity", specifically for setting up her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa and her Angel Network charity.
The media mogul announced last month that she has closed down the Angel Network - which she set up in 1997 - as she prepares to step down from her "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 2011.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order
- Han Solo Movie Offers First Picture of Cast Members in Millennium Falcon
- Priscilla Presley's Taking Care of Lisa Marie Presley's Twin Girls Amid Nasty Custody Battle
- Pregnant Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Covers Baby Bump in Trench Coat on Lunch Date With Jason Statham
- Fergie Shows Off Pert Derriere in Cheeky Instagram Picture
- George Clooney Finally Opens Up About Amal's Pregnancy
- Adele Named Top Music Legend of the Future