California's First Lady to Honor Oprah Winfrey
TV titan Oprah Winfrey will be honored with a special award at the California Women's Conference in October. The talk show legend will be handed the Minerva Award by California's first lady Maria Shriver at the event, which celebrates powerful females who drive change in U.S. society.
Winfrey has been chosen by organizers of the conference for serving "on the frontlines of humanity", specifically for setting up her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa and her Angel Network charity.
The media mogul announced last month that she has closed down the Angel Network - which she set up in 1997 - as she prepares to step down from her "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 2011.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance