California's First Lady to Honor Oprah Winfrey
TV titan Oprah Winfrey will be honored with a special award at the California Women's Conference in October. The talk show legend will be handed the Minerva Award by California's first lady Maria Shriver at the event, which celebrates powerful females who drive change in U.S. society.
Winfrey has been chosen by organizers of the conference for serving "on the frontlines of humanity", specifically for setting up her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa and her Angel Network charity.
The media mogul announced last month that she has closed down the Angel Network - which she set up in 1997 - as she prepares to step down from her "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in 2011.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video