Elizabeth Taylor Unveils Intense Love Letters From Richard Burton
Elizabeth Taylor has published her love letters from Richard Burton for the first time - detailing how their volatile relationship left the actor wanting to kill himself. The "Cleopatra" legend has revealed the intense notes her late former husband sent to her during their tumultuous union, which saw them marry and divorce twice.
Taylor read her collection of letters to the authors of "Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century" - a book looking back on their love affair. And in one note, Burton explains how he can't live without the great beauty, writing, "If you leave me I shall have to kill myself. There is no life without you."
In another, he explains, "You must know, of course, how much I love you. You must know, of course, how badly I treat you. But the fundamental and most vicious, swinish, murderous, and unchangeable fact is that we totally misunderstand each other."
"We operate on alien wavelengths. You are as distant as Venus - planet, I mean - and I am tone-deaf to the music of the spheres. I love you and I always will. Come back to me as soon as you can." Extracts from the tome have been published in June's Vanity Fair, and show that the fiery romance also had a playful side - with Burton calling Taylor by a number of silly nicknames, including 'My Lumps', 'Dearest Scrupelshrumpilstilskin', and 'Twit Twaddle'.
The actress also admits she keeps her final letter from Burton in her bedside drawer, after receiving the poignant post when she returned home from his memorial service in 1984. The 78 year old adds, "Richard was magnificent in every sense of the word. And in everything he ever did. From those first moments in Rome we were always madly and powerfully in love. We had more time but not enough."
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March
- Sterling K. Brown May Join Shane Black's 'Predator'