Chris Rock Gave Up on Presidential Dream After Mom's Threat
Comedian Chris Rock stopped working hard at school after his mother dashed his dreams of becoming U.S. president. The funnyman grew up in a tough area of Brooklyn, New York, and his mum Rosalie didn't encourage her son's lofty political ambitions.
And after the no-nonsense matriarch told her son his dream of being elected to the White House would end in assassination, Rock decided to give up concentrating on his studies. He tells British talk show host Graham Norton, "When I was a kid, before I wanted to be a comedian, my dream was to be the president of the United States."
"The only real job I ever wanted. That was the only office I wanted, to be in the office of the president of the United States. I told my mother, and she said, 'You better not, you'll get shot!' From that day on, I never tried to be good in school again."
"If you can't be president, then what's the point? President (Barack) Obama's mother did not say that; she had a different message."
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung
- 'Supergirl': Get First Look at General Zod in Set Photos and Video
- Desperate Tyga to Use Son King Cairo to Get Back With Kylie Jenner
- Beyonce's Pic of Ordering Food Sparks Funny Twitter Reactions
- 'Cars 3' New Trailer Sees Lightning McQueen's Emotional Crisis