Chris Rock Gave Up on Presidential Dream After Mom's Threat
Comedian Chris Rock stopped working hard at school after his mother dashed his dreams of becoming U.S. president. The funnyman grew up in a tough area of Brooklyn, New York, and his mum Rosalie didn't encourage her son's lofty political ambitions.
And after the no-nonsense matriarch told her son his dream of being elected to the White House would end in assassination, Rock decided to give up concentrating on his studies. He tells British talk show host Graham Norton, "When I was a kid, before I wanted to be a comedian, my dream was to be the president of the United States."
"The only real job I ever wanted. That was the only office I wanted, to be in the office of the president of the United States. I told my mother, and she said, 'You better not, you'll get shot!' From that day on, I never tried to be good in school again."
"If you can't be president, then what's the point? President (Barack) Obama's mother did not say that; she had a different message."
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie