Movie Boss Defends Lindsay Lohan's Trip to Cannes
The studio executive behind Lindsay Lohan's Linda Lovelace biopic has defended the actress' decision to attend the Cannes Film Festival days before an mandatory probation hearing, insisting her presence in France was necessary to sell the project.
The "Mean Girls" star left Los Angeles for France without completing court-ordered alcohol education classes. She then had her passport stolen in Europe and was unable to make it back to Los Angeles in time for her court date on May 20.
A warrant was issued for her arrest, but the notice was recalled after assistants posted $10,000 (6,670 pound sterling) of her $100,000 (66,700 pound sterling) bail. Lohan appeared in a Beverly Hills court on Monday, May 24 and she banned her from leaving Los Angeles and ordered to refrain from drugs and alcohol for the foreseeable future. She was also fitted with an alcohol-monitoring ankle bracelet.
Now, Muse Films production boss Jonathan Fong insists the drama was necessary - because Lohan had to travel to Cannes and her time at the festival was all about business. He tells UsMagazine, "The purpose of the trip was for sales. That was her role as the star, making press appearances in support of the movie. She showed up at other parties, but she was promoting the movie in the atmosphere. It helps to sell the movie to have her meet with the people who will fund the film."
And Fong is standing by the troubled star, who will portray the porn queen in Inferno, insisting, "Lohan is still attached to the project." Production on the movie is expected to begin in the autumn.
Lohan's legal troubles stem from a 2008 DUI arrest.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick