Movie Boss Defends Lindsay Lohan's Trip to Cannes
The studio executive behind Lindsay Lohan's Linda Lovelace biopic has defended the actress' decision to attend the Cannes Film Festival days before an mandatory probation hearing, insisting her presence in France was necessary to sell the project.
The "Mean Girls" star left Los Angeles for France without completing court-ordered alcohol education classes. She then had her passport stolen in Europe and was unable to make it back to Los Angeles in time for her court date on May 20.
A warrant was issued for her arrest, but the notice was recalled after assistants posted $10,000 (6,670 pound sterling) of her $100,000 (66,700 pound sterling) bail. Lohan appeared in a Beverly Hills court on Monday, May 24 and she banned her from leaving Los Angeles and ordered to refrain from drugs and alcohol for the foreseeable future. She was also fitted with an alcohol-monitoring ankle bracelet.
Now, Muse Films production boss Jonathan Fong insists the drama was necessary - because Lohan had to travel to Cannes and her time at the festival was all about business. He tells UsMagazine, "The purpose of the trip was for sales. That was her role as the star, making press appearances in support of the movie. She showed up at other parties, but she was promoting the movie in the atmosphere. It helps to sell the movie to have her meet with the people who will fund the film."
And Fong is standing by the troubled star, who will portray the porn queen in Inferno, insisting, "Lohan is still attached to the project." Production on the movie is expected to begin in the autumn.
Lohan's legal troubles stem from a 2008 DUI arrest.
More Lindsay Lohan News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered