U2 Scrap Tour and Glastonbury Slot Following Bono's Emergency Surgery
Irish rocker Bono is "heartbroken" after U2 were forced to postpone their entire North American tour and cancel their appearance at legendary British music festival Glastonbury following his emergency back surgery. The 50-year-old singer was admitted to a specialist neurosurgery unit at a hospital in Germany on Friday, May 21 after suffering "severe pain" and "partial paralysis" during rehearsals for their 360 Degree world tour in Munich.
Bono underwent an operation immediately and neurosurgeon Joerg Tonn, who treated the star, is convinced he will make a full recovery - but will need at least two months rest. Dr. Tonn says, "He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis of the lower leg. The surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better with complete recovery of his motor-deficit. His prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result he must now enter a period of rehabilitation."
The band has now postponed all their gigs in the U.S. and Canada, which were scheduled for June and July, and they are working with promoters to reschedule the dates. They have also been forced to cancel their prestigious headlining appearance at Glastonbury on June 25, and Bono admits he is devastated to let his fans down. He says, "I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special."
U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, adds, "Our biggest and I believe best tour has been interrupted and we're all devastated. For a performer who lives to be on stage, this is more than a blow. He feels robbed of the chance to do what he does best and feels like he has badly let down the band and their audience. Which is of course nonsense. His concerns about more than a million ticket buyers whose plans have been turned upside down, we all share, but the most important thing right now is that Bono make (sic) a full recovery. We're working as fast as we can with Live Nation to reschedule these dates."
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'