U2 Scrap Tour and Glastonbury Slot Following Bono's Emergency Surgery
Irish rocker Bono is "heartbroken" after U2 were forced to postpone their entire North American tour and cancel their appearance at legendary British music festival Glastonbury following his emergency back surgery. The 50-year-old singer was admitted to a specialist neurosurgery unit at a hospital in Germany on Friday, May 21 after suffering "severe pain" and "partial paralysis" during rehearsals for their 360 Degree world tour in Munich.
Bono underwent an operation immediately and neurosurgeon Joerg Tonn, who treated the star, is convinced he will make a full recovery - but will need at least two months rest. Dr. Tonn says, "He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis of the lower leg. The surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better with complete recovery of his motor-deficit. His prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result he must now enter a period of rehabilitation."
The band has now postponed all their gigs in the U.S. and Canada, which were scheduled for June and July, and they are working with promoters to reschedule the dates. They have also been forced to cancel their prestigious headlining appearance at Glastonbury on June 25, and Bono admits he is devastated to let his fans down. He says, "I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special."
U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, adds, "Our biggest and I believe best tour has been interrupted and we're all devastated. For a performer who lives to be on stage, this is more than a blow. He feels robbed of the chance to do what he does best and feels like he has badly let down the band and their audience. Which is of course nonsense. His concerns about more than a million ticket buyers whose plans have been turned upside down, we all share, but the most important thing right now is that Bono make (sic) a full recovery. We're working as fast as we can with Live Nation to reschedule these dates."
- Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood Welcomes Twins at Age 68
- Tyga's New Lady Demi Rose Tries to Copy Kylie Jenner by Wearing Similar Strappy Bikini
- Shawn Mendes Teases His Upcoming Album
- Kim Kardashian Visits Snapchat Office. See Some Exclusive Filters She Gets!
- Alicia Keys Goes Makeup Free, Pens Powerful Essay About Overcoming Her Insecurities
- Simon Cowell and His Snarky Comments Make Return on 'America's Got Talent' Season 11 Premiere
- Sienna Miller Still Cares 'Enormously' for Ex-Fiance Jude Law
- Zendaya Coleman Criticized for Posting This Racy Picture