Naomi Campbell Called to Testify Over 'Blood Diamond' Gift
Naomi Campbell is fighting a potential subpoena to testify in former Liberian president Charles Taylor's war crimes trial in The Netherlands because she fears for her safety if she appears. Prosecutors trying the former leader in The Hague have asked judges to subpoena the supermodel as a witness.
They have filed a motion calling for the Brit to testify about uncut diamonds Taylor allegedly gave her as a gift in 1997. Campbell insists she won't have much to give prosecutors if they insist on calling her as a witness as Taylor was just a guest at a party she attended.
The model recently stated, "I was a guest of Mr. Mandela in his home... He (Taylor) wasn't invited and none of us knew who he was. He wasn't part of our group." And, in a recent interview with Oprah Winfrey, Campbell confessed she was worried about about her safety if she was called to testify in the trial: "I don't want to be involved in this man's case; he has done some terrible things and I don't want to go and put my family in danger."
Prosecutors reveal Campbell's lawyer has told them his client is "concerned for her safety". The lawyers claim Taylor provided arms and ammunition to rebels during Sierra Leone's civil war in exchange for diamonds. He denies the allegations.
The prosecution also wants actress Mia Farrow to testify about the alleged gift after she revealed Campbell had told her about the present. Farrow, who was at the party with Campbell when the gift was given to her, recently urged the model to "step up" and testify at the trial. She alleges Campbell told her about her unusual present over breakfast the next morning.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny