Lily Allen Lands Three Top Prizes at Ivor Novello
British singer Lily Allen has been crowned the queen of the prestigious Ivor Novello songwriting awards after winning three top prizes at the ceremony on Thursday, May 20. The "Smile" hitmaker was in "floods of tears" after picking up honors for best song musically and lyrically, as well as most performed work, both for her single "The Fear".
She also scooped the coveted songwriter of the year award, considered to be one of the most prestigious record industry honors. Speaking about the chart-topping hit that earned her the accolades, Allen told the ceremony, "This song is so much about feeling so lost. It has made me feel quite found all of a sudden."
The hat-trick of honors is the perfect swan song to Allen's music career, she has already announced plans to retire from recording and touring later this year to concentrate on starting a family and running a designer clothes hire shop.
Other big winners at this year's ceremony in London include Paul Weller, who received the lifetime achievement award, and Scottish singer Paolo Nutini, who won the best album title for "Sunny Side Up".
Former The Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr was handed the inspiration award, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's producer Trevor Horn received the outstanding contribution honor. Composer Sir Tim Rice was awarded the Academy Fellowship, and singer-songwriter Imogen Heap won the prize for international achievement.
The classical music award went to Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Neil Sedaka took home the international achievement honor, and singer Natasha Khan, who performs under the name Bat For Lashes, won best contemporary single, for her song "Daniel".
- Watch Fergie's 'M.I.L.F. $' Music Video Starring Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen
- Justin Bieber Posts Cryptic Message About Relationship, Says He'd 'Rather Be Lonely'
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying if She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday