Bob Dylan's Song Tops Rolling Stones' Single in Greatest Songs List
Bob Dylan's 1965 hit "Like a Rolling Stone" has topped a new list of the Greatest Songs of All Time. Rolling Stone magazine editors and contributors have spent months piecing together the ultimate top 500 list and Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" track has beaten out The Rolling Stones' ("I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to the number one spot.
John Lennon's "Imagine" comes in at three, while "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin's 1967 anthem "Respect" round out the top five. Also making the top 10 are "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode", The Beatles' "Hey Jude" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.
The 1960s were the best decade for hits, with 195 tunes making the top 500; the 1970s came in second with 131 entries. The best year was 1965. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones lead the artists of the poll - the Fab Four have 23 entries on the list; the Stones have 14. Bob Dylan comes in third with 13 and Elvis Presley is the only other artist with double figures, with 11.
The extensive panel of voters included Pearl Jam star Jeff Ament, Devendra Banhart, punk icon Jello Biafra, Mary J. Blige, Jack Bruce, Coldplay star Will Champion, Yoko Ono, Jakob Dylan and My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way.
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son