Bob Dylan's Song Tops Rolling Stones' Single in Greatest Songs List
Bob Dylan's 1965 hit "Like a Rolling Stone" has topped a new list of the Greatest Songs of All Time. Rolling Stone magazine editors and contributors have spent months piecing together the ultimate top 500 list and Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" track has beaten out The Rolling Stones' ("I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to the number one spot.
John Lennon's "Imagine" comes in at three, while "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin's 1967 anthem "Respect" round out the top five. Also making the top 10 are "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode", The Beatles' "Hey Jude" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.
The 1960s were the best decade for hits, with 195 tunes making the top 500; the 1970s came in second with 131 entries. The best year was 1965. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones lead the artists of the poll - the Fab Four have 23 entries on the list; the Stones have 14. Bob Dylan comes in third with 13 and Elvis Presley is the only other artist with double figures, with 11.
The extensive panel of voters included Pearl Jam star Jeff Ament, Devendra Banhart, punk icon Jello Biafra, Mary J. Blige, Jack Bruce, Coldplay star Will Champion, Yoko Ono, Jakob Dylan and My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way.
More Bob Dylan News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip