Bob Dylan's Song Tops Rolling Stones' Single in Greatest Songs List
Bob Dylan's 1965 hit "Like a Rolling Stone" has topped a new list of the Greatest Songs of All Time. Rolling Stone magazine editors and contributors have spent months piecing together the ultimate top 500 list and Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" track has beaten out The Rolling Stones' ("I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to the number one spot.
John Lennon's "Imagine" comes in at three, while "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin's 1967 anthem "Respect" round out the top five. Also making the top 10 are "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode", The Beatles' "Hey Jude" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.
The 1960s were the best decade for hits, with 195 tunes making the top 500; the 1970s came in second with 131 entries. The best year was 1965. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones lead the artists of the poll - the Fab Four have 23 entries on the list; the Stones have 14. Bob Dylan comes in third with 13 and Elvis Presley is the only other artist with double figures, with 11.
The extensive panel of voters included Pearl Jam star Jeff Ament, Devendra Banhart, punk icon Jello Biafra, Mary J. Blige, Jack Bruce, Coldplay star Will Champion, Yoko Ono, Jakob Dylan and My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way.
- 'Aquaman' Officially Casts Michael Beach in Potentially Significant Role
- FOX Sets Fall Premiere Dates for 'The Orville', 'Empire' and More
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys Singing About Heartbreak After Split From Blake Shelton
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Cleavage in New Instagram Pics
- Does Rae Sremmurd Break Up? Swae Lee Tries 'to Steal All the Shine' From Slim Jimmy
- Bill Cosby Plans to Lecture Young People on How to Avoid Sexual Assault Accusations
- Beyonce and Jay-Z's Twins Finally Released From Hospital
- Brad Pitt Fired as the Depressing Weatherman on 'Jim Jefferies Show'. See His Reaction!