Jonathan Groff Thanks Fans for Supports Over Newsweek's Harsh Article
Gay actor Jonathan Groff has thanked his fans and peers for their loyalty following a Newsweek article which slammed him for playing straight roles, insisting he is "totally blown away" by their support. The "Glee" star was branded a "theater queen" by popular columnist Ramin Setoodeh in a recent copy of the publication, with the writer also targeting Broadway actor Sean Hayes in the piece.
A string of celebrities, including Kristin Chenoweth, "Glee" creator Ryan Murphy and "Milk" screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, spoke out to defend Groff and Hayes, slamming editors of Newsweek for allowing the article to be published. And now Groff has spoken out about the scandal, telling BBC's Newsbeat, "I do totally appreciate all of the support and love that has been shown from all of these people that are speaking up in support of actors of all shapes and sizes and sexualities playing all different roles because we're actors."
"I'm totally blown away and love all of the support and love that has been shown."
- Donald Trump Tweets Wrong Ivanka. Find Out How She Reacts
- Here's Ben Affleck's Reaction to Viral #SadAffleck Meme
- Ali Fedotowsky on Corinne's Raunchy Acts on 'Bachelor': 'I Find That Truly Sad'
- 'White Men Can't Jump' Remake Is in the Works
- Ed Sheeran Scores First No. 1 Hit on Billboard Hot 100 With 'Shape of You', Makes Chart History
- Nina Dobrev Reveals She Accidentally Exposed Her Genitals During Bikini-Clad Photoshoot
- Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill Apparently Only Fake Their Breakup
- NFL Bans Lady GaGa From Talking About Politics at Super Bowl