Jonathan Groff Thanks Fans for Supports Over Newsweek's Harsh Article
Gay actor Jonathan Groff has thanked his fans and peers for their loyalty following a Newsweek article which slammed him for playing straight roles, insisting he is "totally blown away" by their support. The "Glee" star was branded a "theater queen" by popular columnist Ramin Setoodeh in a recent copy of the publication, with the writer also targeting Broadway actor Sean Hayes in the piece.
A string of celebrities, including Kristin Chenoweth, "Glee" creator Ryan Murphy and "Milk" screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, spoke out to defend Groff and Hayes, slamming editors of Newsweek for allowing the article to be published. And now Groff has spoken out about the scandal, telling BBC's Newsbeat, "I do totally appreciate all of the support and love that has been shown from all of these people that are speaking up in support of actors of all shapes and sizes and sexualities playing all different roles because we're actors."
"I'm totally blown away and love all of the support and love that has been shown."
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent