Jonathan Groff Thanks Fans for Supports Over Newsweek's Harsh Article
Gay actor Jonathan Groff has thanked his fans and peers for their loyalty following a Newsweek article which slammed him for playing straight roles, insisting he is "totally blown away" by their support. The "Glee" star was branded a "theater queen" by popular columnist Ramin Setoodeh in a recent copy of the publication, with the writer also targeting Broadway actor Sean Hayes in the piece.
A string of celebrities, including Kristin Chenoweth, "Glee" creator Ryan Murphy and "Milk" screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, spoke out to defend Groff and Hayes, slamming editors of Newsweek for allowing the article to be published. And now Groff has spoken out about the scandal, telling BBC's Newsbeat, "I do totally appreciate all of the support and love that has been shown from all of these people that are speaking up in support of actors of all shapes and sizes and sexualities playing all different roles because we're actors."
"I'm totally blown away and love all of the support and love that has been shown."
- These Photos of Jim Carrey and Late Ex Suggest Her Marriage to Estranged Husband Was Fake
- This Picture of Princess Charlotte Snuggling a Bunny at Playdate in Canada Is Just Too Cute
- Here's What Tim Burton Says About Lack of Diversity in 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
- Here's What Happens to Kylie Jenner's Number That Rob Kardashian Leaked on Twitter
- First Look at Justice Society of America in 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow' Season 2 Photos
- Tom Cruise Beats the Bad Guys to Death in 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' IMAX Trailer
- The Weeknd Releases New Single 'False Alarm'
- Asa Butterfield Is Martian Coming to Earth in New 'Space Between Us' Trailer