Chely Wright Thought Being Lesbian Was a Sin
Gay country star Chely Wright prayed for God to remove her homosexual tendencies when she first realized she might be a lesbian - because she thought it was a sin. The "God-fearing Single White Female" singer fought her sexuality for years and even attempted relationships with Vince Gill and Brad Paisley - but she always knew she was gay, and recently 'came out'.
Now she reveals church lessons when she was a kid taught her that homosexuality was bad and she prayed not to become a lesbian. She says, "I prayed every day for God to change me and it was, 'Dear God, please don't let me be gay. I promise to be a good person.' I said that prayer every day... sometimes 20 times a day. Young people in every corner of America are being told by their churches... that they are damaged goods, and they are not. I have to stand up. I'm in a unique position."
also, Chely Wright struggled to recount her romance with Brad Paisley in her memoir Like Me - because she felt so terrible about making the singer think she loved him. Wright dated Paisley in 2000 and called off the romance when the "Celebrity" hitmaker started to get serious and talk about marriage. But, rather than sit down with her one-time beau and tell him the truth, Wright simply cut the heartbroken star out of her life.
In her book she recalls taking a long bath with the music blaring from her sound system so she couldn't hear Paisley outside her home begging her to take him back. Paisley has yet to comment on his ex-girlfriend's recent big reveal and the fact she wrote about their twisted romance in her book - and Wright knows he must be very upset.
In a candid TV interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired in America on Wednesday, May 19, the "Single White Female" singer said, "Not only do I have a lot of regret for how that (romance) ended, I have a lot of regret for how that began... I had no business being in a relationship with him. I knew it the whole time."
"Being with a man intimately, doing anything with someone you shouldn't be doing something with, having sex with him, kissing him, going to a movie and holding hands with a man when you're a lesbian feels wrong... I wronged him."
"It was really hard for me to write down my crimes against Brad and the other men that I damaged... but I had to tell my entire truth. I hope he forgives me. I don't know if he will... Anytime that anyone gets to sit down and have a conversation with a man as amazing as Brad Paisley is a gift, and I would welcome the gift. I hope this (book) fills in some emotional gaps for him."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!