Anne Hathaway Refuses to Put Ownership Bid on Her Conman Ex-Lover's Gifts
An auction of the jewels given to Anne Hathaway by her conman ex-lover Raffaello Follieri is free to go ahead after the actress refused to reclaim the gems. "The Devil Wears Prada" star's former boyfriend was jailed for four-and-a-half years in December 2008 after pleading guilty to 14 counts of wire fraud, conspiracy and money laundering.
Hathaway dumped the Italian businessman in June the same year just before his arrest for the scam, which saw him take more than $3.6 million from investment funds and real estate firms. During their romance, Follieri lavished gifts on his A-list lover, which Hathaway was forced to give up upon his trial so the goods could be used as evidence.
Following his sentencing, prosecutors in the case gave Hathaway until February this year to put in an ownership bid on the items, which include Rolex watches, a five-strand pearl necklace, two rings and a Louis Vuitton box. But according to papers obtained by New York Post gossip column PageSix, Hathaway decided against trying to reclaim the jewelery, meaning an auction of Follieri's gifts and possessions will go ahead if no more bids from third parties are received by May 26.
The money raised from the auction will go towards paying back those investors duped by Follieri.
More Anne Hathaway News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation