Michelle Williams Returned to Her Middle School
Former Destiny's Child star Michelle Williams (II) headed back to school on Friday, May 14 to mentor young girls at her alma mater in her native Rockford, Illinois. The R&B singer, 29, returned to West Middle School where she met with students and encouraged them to follow their dreams and focus on their goals.
She told the crowd, "I sat where you sat, I walked the same halls that you did... you can do what I do. You can do it better, I'm sure. It's about focusing and having goals, and I knew at a young age that I would be successful. I didn't know to what capacity, but I knew there were certain things I could not do. There were certain mistakes that (could) cost me my life, so I tried not to do those things."
"Create that thing around you. Just because you leave somewhere doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. Create that fire that you want. Your focus needs to be on your education."
Williams, who recently completed a stint on Broadway in hit musical "Chicago", also opened up about bullying, admitting she had been targeted as a youngster for getting good grades and talking "like a white girl". She added, "I know what it's like to be picked on. Have some dignity and respect for yourself."
More Michelle Williams News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'