Michelle Williams Returned to Her Middle School
Former Destiny's Child star Michelle Williams (II) headed back to school on Friday, May 14 to mentor young girls at her alma mater in her native Rockford, Illinois. The R&B singer, 29, returned to West Middle School where she met with students and encouraged them to follow their dreams and focus on their goals.
She told the crowd, "I sat where you sat, I walked the same halls that you did... you can do what I do. You can do it better, I'm sure. It's about focusing and having goals, and I knew at a young age that I would be successful. I didn't know to what capacity, but I knew there were certain things I could not do. There were certain mistakes that (could) cost me my life, so I tried not to do those things."
"Create that thing around you. Just because you leave somewhere doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. Create that fire that you want. Your focus needs to be on your education."
Williams, who recently completed a stint on Broadway in hit musical "Chicago", also opened up about bullying, admitting she had been targeted as a youngster for getting good grades and talking "like a white girl". She added, "I know what it's like to be picked on. Have some dignity and respect for yourself."
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Haven't Put a Label on Relationship Even After Caught Kissing
- Naya Rivera Reveals She Got Pregnant and Had an Abortion When She Was on 'Glee'
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: A Man Gets His Heart Broken and Leaves
- Stan Lee Supports Zendaya to Portray Mary Jane in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Bring Thor and Loki to Children Hospital in Australia
- Kendall Jenner Flaunts Her Booty in Unpublished Vogue Pic
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.10 Preview: The Kidnapper Gets Attacked
- Iggy Azalea Hits Recording Studio With Verse Simmonds