Jonathan Groff and Sean Hayes Supported by 'Milk' Screenwriter Over Newsweek Article
"Milk" screenwriter Dustin Lance Black has joined a growing list of stars who have slammed editors at Newsweek magazine after a popular columnist criticized gay actors Jonathan Groff and Sean Hayes for portraying straight men. The openly-gay moviemaker won an Oscar for the 2008 film, starring Sean Penn as homosexual politician Harvey Milk, and he's fuming over the controversial piece, which saw columnist Ramin Setoodeh single out "Glee" star Groff and Hayes, who is currently appearing on Broadway in "Promises, Promises".
He's joined forces with Jarrett Barrios, the president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), to pen a letter to The Hollywood Reporter expressing his anger over the article, which was published last month. They write, "Sadly, he (Setoodeh) seems to raise more questions about his own internalized biases than what the 'public' actually perceives. The public is thrilled with Jonathan Groff's turn as a leading man on Glee... (and) while Setoodeh zeroes in on Sean Hayes on Broadway, he refuses to mention how Americans have embraced the openly gay current and past leading men."
"America is starting to embrace open gay and lesbian actors in heterosexual roles on stage and screen and Setoodeh himself is not yet ready to. Maybe Setoodeh can't see Glee and Promises, Promises except through a lens of dark stereotypes he's inherited. Maybe he's got some axe to grind. But whatever the reason, with the stakes so high for gay Americans at this moment, it is no excuse for his editors inflicting such hurtful - and baseless - musings on the readers of Newsweek. We'd all have been better off leaving Setoodeh's tortured thoughts on his therapist's couch and leaving baseless stories like this one on the editor's desk."
Kristin Chenoweth and "Glee" creator Ryan Murphy have also blasted the article, with Murphy urging Americans not to buy the magazine until editors apologize for the piece.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival