Barbara Walters to Take Months of Recovery Break
Veteran U.S. newswoman Barbara Walters is to undergo surgery later this week to replace a faulty heart valve. The TV legend, 80, made the announcement on her hit morning talk show "The View" on Monday, May 10, revealing she has known about the condition "for a while now" and finally decided to have the procedure so it coincided with the programme's hiatus later this summer.
She explained, "Later this week I am going to have surgery to replace one faulty heart valve. Now lots of people have done this. I have known of this condition for a while now and my doctors and I have decided this is the best time to do the surgery. And since the summer is coming up I can take a nice vacation."
Walters also added that doctors estimate her recovery time to be "anywhere from a month to three months".
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos