Christina Aguilera Heading to Haiti Amid Album Promotion
Christina Aguilera is planning a trip to Haiti to aid the earthquake-ravaged nation as part of her role as an ambassador for the United Nations World Food Program (WFP). The "Beautiful" hitmaker was inspired to step up her charity work after becoming a mother to her baby boy Max in 2008 and traveled to Guatemala last year as the organization's spokesperson to witness the health programs already in place for mothers and children.
During an appearance on Oprah Winfrey's talk show on Friday, May 7, Aguilera said, "A child dies every six seconds of hunger, which is a huge statistic for me. After having my own child, I just had to be part of it and do something about it and help change that situation."
The pop star has been instrumental in raising funds for the Haiti earthquake relief effort, taking part in a U.S. telethon in January and fronting a new public service announcement (PSA) for Yum! Brands World Hunger Relief, urging Americans to give more to the cause.
Aguilera is now hoping to travel be to the devastated Caribbean country, which is still struggling to recover from the January 12 quake that left over 100,000 people dead. She added, "I want to check on the situation there and help deliver food. I want to visit orphanages and schools there and try to do my part in helping."
More Christina Aguilera News
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl