Christina Aguilera Heading to Haiti Amid Album Promotion
Christina Aguilera is planning a trip to Haiti to aid the earthquake-ravaged nation as part of her role as an ambassador for the United Nations World Food Program (WFP). The "Beautiful" hitmaker was inspired to step up her charity work after becoming a mother to her baby boy Max in 2008 and traveled to Guatemala last year as the organization's spokesperson to witness the health programs already in place for mothers and children.
During an appearance on Oprah Winfrey's talk show on Friday, May 7, Aguilera said, "A child dies every six seconds of hunger, which is a huge statistic for me. After having my own child, I just had to be part of it and do something about it and help change that situation."
The pop star has been instrumental in raising funds for the Haiti earthquake relief effort, taking part in a U.S. telethon in January and fronting a new public service announcement (PSA) for Yum! Brands World Hunger Relief, urging Americans to give more to the cause.
Aguilera is now hoping to travel be to the devastated Caribbean country, which is still struggling to recover from the January 12 quake that left over 100,000 people dead. She added, "I want to check on the situation there and help deliver food. I want to visit orphanages and schools there and try to do my part in helping."
More Christina Aguilera News
- Kim Kardashian Ditches Panties in Jaw-Dropping Look at Paris Fashion Week
- Britney Spears Feels Great in Her 30s Because Her 20s Was 'Horrible'
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!
- Vitalii Sediuk Calls His Attempt to Kiss Kim Kardashian's Butt a Protest Against 'Butt Implants'
- Gavin Rossdale Follows Gwen Stefani's Lead, Joins 'The Voice UK' as New Judge