Dominic Monaghan: 1996 Bombing Was Great Favor to Manchester
"Lord of the Rings" star Dominic Monaghan is sure to spark controversy with radio remarks about the terrorist bombing of his native Manchester's city center in 1996 - he thinks the blast was "a huge favor" to the place. More than 200 people were injured in the IRA blast - but the actor insists the tragedy prompted a regeneration of the area, which was once a hotbed of crime.
Speaking on Los Angeles-based radio show Petros & Money, the Lost star says, "When I was growing up there... it was much rougher and then the IRA did one of the greatest favors that they've ever done for us - they planted a bomb in the town center of Manchester and, because of the large Irish contingent living in Manchester, they alerted the police, and everyone left the town center."
"They then blew up the town center and the English government gave us a billion pounds to rebuild the town center... so the town center is really cleaned up."
- Angelina Jolie Doesn't Want Brad Pitt to Date Other Women
- Katy Perry Calls on Taylor Swift to End Longtime Feud: 'It's Time for Her to Finish It'
- 'In Hysterics,' Ariana Grande Suspends World Tour After Terrorist Bombing at Manchester Gig
- Blake Lively Nearly Spills Out of Her Stunning Neon Gown at the Ballet
- Ariana Grande Is 'Broken' After Deadly Explosion at Manchester Concert
- Major Lazer Previews Travis Scott, Quavo and Camila Cabello Collaboration During Alabama Show
- Kourtney Kardashian Never Gets Serious With Younes Bendjima as He's Just Her Fling
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 13 Premiere: The Crazy One, the Creepy One and the First Kiss