Woody Harrelson Campaigning for Healthy School Meals
Vegan Woody Harrelson is urging U.S. government officials to support a bill enforcing healthy eating in schools across America. The "Cheers" star swears by his hardcore vegetarian diet and is known for providing his movie co-stars with alternatives to meat on set.
Now Harrelson and his wife Laura are appealing to Congress to bring similar practices into the lunchroom by backing the Healthy School Meals Act of 2010, which seeks to add vegetarian food and non-dairy beverages to cafeterias.
A letter from the couple to Congress reads, "As parents, we ask you to support HR 4870, the Healthy School Meals Act of 2010. We know from watching our own children grow up that eating habits children develop early on stick with them for life. All too often, young people are offered processed meats and cheese and other greasy, high-fat, high-cholesterol foods."
"The Healthy School Meals Act will help children develop better eating habits, provide healthful plant-based options that naturally contain no cholesterol, are low in saturated fat and high in fibre, enabling schools to reach high nutrition standards easily. The legislation gives schools the incentive and ability to address the health problems that are harming our children and overburdening our health systems."
Scarlett Johansson also pledged her support for the bill in a letter to a California congressman in March.
More Woody Harrelson News
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign