Alexander McQueen's Death Ruled Suicide
An inquest into the death of Alexander McQueen has found the fashion designer ingested a cocktail of drugs before hanging himself at his London home in February - the tragedy has been officially ruled a suicide. The star's body was found in a wardrobe at his apartment in the U.K. capital in February, and a post-mortem examination revealed he died as a result of asphyxiation and hanging.
At an inquest into McQueen's death, which was held in London on Wednesday, April 28 , a coroner's officer told the court the designer had become depressed after his mum Joyce died earlier. Lynda Martindill said, "He had been particularly close to his mother and following her death had become overwhelmed with grief."
The hearing was told McQueen had a history of depression and insomnia, and had tried to kill himself in the past. He had also researched suicide methods on the Internet. Toxicology tests on McQueen's body showed he had taken cocaine, sleeping pills, and tranquillisers prior to his death.
The fashion designer's psychiatrist, Dr Stephen Pereira, told Westminster Coroner's Court that McQueen was also feeling under pressure with his work. Dr Pereira said, "He certainly felt very pressured by his work, but it was a double-edged sword. He felt it was the only area of his life where he felt he had achieved something. Usually after a show he felt a huge comedown. He felt isolated, it gave him a huge low."
Coroner Dr Paul Knapman recorded a verdict of suicide, ruling that McQueen killed himself "while the balance of his mind was disturbed".
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor
- Iggy Azalea's Brand New Single 'Mo Bounce' Released in Full
- Possible Leaked Concept Art of 'Deadpool 2' Features Brad Pitt as Cable
- Migos Channels Inner Rock Stars in 'What the Price' Music Video
- Adele Pays Emotional Tribute to London Terror Victims During Her Concert in New Zealand
- 'The Bachelorette' Six New Suitors Strip Down During Group Date on 'Ellen Show'