Green Day's 'American Idiot' Panned by Critics as 'Dull'
Green Day's "American Idiot" musical has opened to lacklustre reviews on Broadway - with critics labeling the show "dull" and "ordinary". The production is based around the group's 2004 album of the same name, with a storyline worked out around the songs on the record.
The stage showed opened in New York on Tuesday night, April 20, but although critics praised the rock soundtrack, many were disappointed by the plot. Jesse Oxfeld, of the New York Observer, writes, "I wish I could tell you I loved 'American Idiot'. It looks good; it sounds good; it features a talented and hardworking cast. But I can't. It's fun. But it's also, amid all the booming rock, a little dull."
Peter Marks, of the Washington Post, adds, "The 90 minutes make for such stimulating spectacle... (but) 'American Idiot' comes across as ordinary. It's surprising how a show with enough imaginative candlepower to light a stadium can appear to have invested so little energy in illuminating its characters, or devising an involving narrative."
Joe Dziemianowicz, of the New York Daily News, concludes, "Thanks for the music, Green Day. But, jeez, couldn't you have spared a story? And a couple of characters who aren't cliched stick-figures? Because that's what a Broadway musical needs to make it more than just a music video or a concert. Unfortunately American Idiot comes up short on both those counts."
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner