Shakira Visits Haiti for School Plan
Shakira toured the devastated nation of Haiti on Sunday, April 11 - meeting child survivors of January's earthquake while preparing to build a school in the ravaged Caribbean country. The "Hips Don't Lie" superstar met around a hundred youngsters who were left homeless after the massive quake and have been forced to live in tents in the capital city of Port-au-Prince.
Shortly after the disaster, Shakira announced plans to team her Barefoot Foundation with the Architecture for Humanity charity to build a school in the region, which she hopes will mirror the success of an education facility she launched in her native Colombia.
The institute will provide teaching, nutrition and counselings for kids in need. She says, "We've come to make all the preparations to be able to start the building of a Barefoot school here in Haiti. We think we can employ what we've learned (in Colombia) here, apply it in this country which needs it so much at the moment."
"We need to think about the future of this country and of how Haiti's children can be useful to their societies tomorrow... Education is one of the fundamental tools with which to develop and rebuild Haiti." The earthquake killed over 300,000 people and left more than a million homeless.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic