Shakira Visits Haiti for School Plan
Shakira toured the devastated nation of Haiti on Sunday, April 11 - meeting child survivors of January's earthquake while preparing to build a school in the ravaged Caribbean country. The "Hips Don't Lie" superstar met around a hundred youngsters who were left homeless after the massive quake and have been forced to live in tents in the capital city of Port-au-Prince.
Shortly after the disaster, Shakira announced plans to team her Barefoot Foundation with the Architecture for Humanity charity to build a school in the region, which she hopes will mirror the success of an education facility she launched in her native Colombia.
The institute will provide teaching, nutrition and counselings for kids in need. She says, "We've come to make all the preparations to be able to start the building of a Barefoot school here in Haiti. We think we can employ what we've learned (in Colombia) here, apply it in this country which needs it so much at the moment."
"We need to think about the future of this country and of how Haiti's children can be useful to their societies tomorrow... Education is one of the fundamental tools with which to develop and rebuild Haiti." The earthquake killed over 300,000 people and left more than a million homeless.
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle