Jill Scott Fights Record Label Back
Jill Scott is counter suing her record label after executives accused her of breach of contract. Hidden Beach Recording bosses filed legal papers against the "Gettin' in the Way" singer/actress in February, alleging she quit the label after finding fame and owes the firm three more albums.
Scott is fighting the allegations with a cross-complaint, filed in Los Angeles Supreme Court, which claims the independent label lost her millions of dollars by mismanaging her career. Her suit includes claims such as breach of contract, tortuous interference with contract, accounting, misappropriation of likeness and false advertising, reports Billboard.biz.
A lawyer for Hidden Beach insists label chiefs are "truly saddened" by Scott's move. Attorney Lawrence Hinkle says in a statement, "The allegations contained in Jill's cross-complaint are without merit and apparently meant to distract from what this lawsuit is really all about - Hidden Beach's right to recover damages based on her failure to fulfill her contractual obligations."
"We are truly saddened that Jill has taken this course of action especially since Hidden Beach's extraordinary support of her has been unwavering over the years in helping her achieve her dream of getting to where she is now in her career. Hidden Beach continues to hope that this dispute is resolved soon but until then, it will defend itself vigorously in court."
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season