Jill Scott Fights Record Label Back
Jill Scott is counter suing her record label after executives accused her of breach of contract. Hidden Beach Recording bosses filed legal papers against the "Gettin' in the Way" singer/actress in February, alleging she quit the label after finding fame and owes the firm three more albums.
Scott is fighting the allegations with a cross-complaint, filed in Los Angeles Supreme Court, which claims the independent label lost her millions of dollars by mismanaging her career. Her suit includes claims such as breach of contract, tortuous interference with contract, accounting, misappropriation of likeness and false advertising, reports Billboard.biz.
A lawyer for Hidden Beach insists label chiefs are "truly saddened" by Scott's move. Attorney Lawrence Hinkle says in a statement, "The allegations contained in Jill's cross-complaint are without merit and apparently meant to distract from what this lawsuit is really all about - Hidden Beach's right to recover damages based on her failure to fulfill her contractual obligations."
"We are truly saddened that Jill has taken this course of action especially since Hidden Beach's extraordinary support of her has been unwavering over the years in helping her achieve her dream of getting to where she is now in her career. Hidden Beach continues to hope that this dispute is resolved soon but until then, it will defend itself vigorously in court."
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young After Finding Out He Impregnated His Ex Again
- Kylie Jenner and Blac Chyna's Feud Ends. Stars Become 'Close' Friends Now
- Miles Teller Has Halo Screwed to His Skull in 'Bleed for This' Trailer
- Miss Teen USA to Eliminate Swimsuit Competition
- Demi Lovato Debuts Steamy New Single 'Body Say', Brings Out T.I. at 'Future Now' Tour
- Rita Ora Hospitalized due to Exhaustion
- Tom Hanks Is a Hero in First 'Sully' Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Poses Topless for W Magazine. See the NSFW Pic!