Attorneys Urge California Court to Drop Roman Polanski's Sex Case
Roman Polanski's lawyers have filed another appeal urging a California court to drop the director's sex case, insisting the shamed director should be set free to avoid the case dragging on and costing the state even more money. Polanski pleaded guilty to having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, but fled to America a year later before he could be sentenced.
He was arrested in Zurich, Switzerland in 2009 and is currently being held under house arrest while he awaits deportation to the U.S. In January, the filmmaker lost his fight against extradition and a Los Angeles judge ruled he must return to be sentenced.
But Polanski's attorneys filed an appeal on March 19, calling for an official investigation into alleged judicial misconduct during his 1970s child sex trial. And they went back to court in Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 6 to argue that the case will drag on and drain the resources of the state's judicial system unless Polanski is set free.
The brief, which was submitted to the California 2nd District Court of Appeal and obtained by the Associated Press, reads, "It is unjust for a defendant's constitutional rights to be held hostage to the district attorney's office's outright refusal to investigate the misconduct in which it was involved."
"As the district attorney is undoubtedly counting on, Mr. Polanski would 'most likely waive' his right to any extended examination of his past treatment, were he to return, in order to avoid further expense and possible incarceration while the case is untangled. This court should put a stop to this now by recommending that special counsel be appointed and by ordering that Polanski be sentenced to time served."
The defense also argued that the Chinatown director's debts are mounting and that he cannot earn money while in custody.
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Step Out for Romantic Dinner Amid Divorce Rumors
- 'Scandal' to Tackle Alt-Reality Theme in 100th Episode. Get the First Look!
- 'Punisher': New Set Photos Reveal Major Cast Addition
- Antonio Banderas Reveals Suffering From Heart Attack
- Harry Styles Teases First Solo Single and Books Release Date
- Liam Payne and Cheryl Welcome Baby Boy - See the Baby's Pic!
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other