Madonna Returns to Malawi to Launch Girls Academy's Construction
Madonna has flown to Malawi for a week of charity engagements in the African country. The pop superstar, who has adopted two children from the impoverished nation, has poured money into the region through her Raising Malawi Foundation and is scheduled to launch the construction of her girls school on Tuesday, April 6 by laying the first brick.
The $15 million Raising Malawi Academy for Girls is set to open in 2011. During her trip, the "Material Girl" will also visit a United Nations Millennium Village project, an initiative which builds communities in poverty-stricken areas.
Sharing about her visit, Madonna wrote on her Raising Malawi site, "It is with tremendous joy that I return to Malawi to lay the first brick in the Raising Malawi Academy for Girls. By educating girls we will rebuild this community and raise this nation." She added, "Our academy will educate, protect, and empower 450 young girls who are Malawi's hope for the future. We will stop the brain drain happening in so many African nations - our students will receive an internationally competitive education while incorporating local values."
Madonna Visits Malawi:
More Madonna News
- Kris Jenner Comes Under Fire for Allegedly Photoshopping Her Latest Instagram Pic
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoniex' Confirmed to Introduce Dazzler
- Jennifer Lopez Claps Back at Haters for Accusing Her of Photoshopping Her Abs
- Bella Thorne and Scott Disick Holding Hands After a Night of Partying and Boozing
- Johnny Depp Sorry for Joking About Assassinating President Donald Trump
- Report: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Are Spoiling Their Surrogate
- Kristen Stewart Caught Cheating on Stella Maxwell With Ex Alicia Cargile
- Find Out What George and Amal Clooney's Twin Kids Will Inherit When They Turn 21