Tiger Woods Urged to Apologize to Teacher Over His Abuse Statement
Tiger Woods' kindergarten teacher is demanding an apology from the shamed sports star, amid accusations she failed to protect him from racist bullies as a child. In 2005, Woods, who is of Caucasian, Black, American Indian, and Asian ancestry, recalled a traumatic incident that first made him aware of his racial identity in an interview he gave for Charles Barkley's 2005 book "Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man?"
He said, "A group of sixth graders tied me to a tree, spray-painted the word 'nigger' on me, and threw rocks at me. That was my first day of school. And the teacher really didn't do much of anything." But the teacher, Maureen Decker, insists "no such incident ever occurred" under her care, and organized a press conference on Friday, April 2 to address the claims.
Decker's attorney Gloria Allred called for Woods to apologize publicly and privately, stating "No teacher should ever be treated in such a callous and unfair manner especially one such as Ms Decker... We think it's time for Tiger Woods to do the right thing which is to retract the statement and apologize to Ms. Decker."
It is the latest incident in a string of scandals for the sports star. Woods' career and home life were rocked in 2009 when news of his numerous affairs behind wife Elin Nordegren's back hit the headlines. He entered a rehab facility for sexual addiction therapy before apologizing to his family, friends and colleagues in a statement in February.
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame