The Libertines Set Reunion Following Pete Doherty's Brawl
Cult British rock band The Libertines' reunion was sealed after frontman Pete Doherty got into a brawl in Denmark. The controversial singer/guitarist was strolling through a street in the country in 2009 when a group of tourists hurled abuse at him - which escalated into a group fight. Doherty was so shaken up, he called up former Libertines' bass player John Hassall, who now lives in Denmark - and the conversation set the wheels in motion for the band's surprise reunion.
The Libertines split in 2004 after Doherty's drug addiction caused a huge rift with fellow frontman Carl Barat. Although they eventually made up, a full reunion of the band looked unlikely until Doherty contacted Hassall.
Doherty tells rock mag NME, "I was in Denmark last year. I got abused by a load of Americans. I walked past this bar and one of them went, 'Hey man, what's Danish for pr**k?' I ended up getting in a bit of a ruck (brawl). As usual I got the f**king blame, and I phoned John. That's how we got back in touch."
Doherty, who previously confessed the band's upcoming gigs at the Reading and Leeds festivals in the U.K. could be a "f**king disaster", also admits the reunion is "upsetting". He adds, "It would be very easy for us to laugh and joke and put up a front about it, but there's almost something quite upsetting about it in the excitement."
"It was a big part of my life. And I'm quite good at blocking things out. But the more I think about it, the more it upsets me. It's a celebration of a different time. It's a time that was.... well, it's gone."
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom
- Celebrity Police Unit to Be Discontinued Following Big Bang's T.O.P's Marijuana Scandal
- Cara Delevingne Says She Wants to Be James Bond Amid Bond Girl Rumors
- Johnny Depp Demands Claim He Has 'Psychological Issues' Removed From Court Record
- Cheeky! Emily Ratajkowski Flashes Ample Cleavage in Polka Dot Outfit
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Anthony Scaramucci Hiring as New White House Press Secretary