The Libertines Set Reunion Following Pete Doherty's Brawl
Cult British rock band The Libertines' reunion was sealed after frontman Pete Doherty got into a brawl in Denmark. The controversial singer/guitarist was strolling through a street in the country in 2009 when a group of tourists hurled abuse at him - which escalated into a group fight. Doherty was so shaken up, he called up former Libertines' bass player John Hassall, who now lives in Denmark - and the conversation set the wheels in motion for the band's surprise reunion.
The Libertines split in 2004 after Doherty's drug addiction caused a huge rift with fellow frontman Carl Barat. Although they eventually made up, a full reunion of the band looked unlikely until Doherty contacted Hassall.
Doherty tells rock mag NME, "I was in Denmark last year. I got abused by a load of Americans. I walked past this bar and one of them went, 'Hey man, what's Danish for pr**k?' I ended up getting in a bit of a ruck (brawl). As usual I got the f**king blame, and I phoned John. That's how we got back in touch."
Doherty, who previously confessed the band's upcoming gigs at the Reading and Leeds festivals in the U.K. could be a "f**king disaster", also admits the reunion is "upsetting". He adds, "It would be very easy for us to laugh and joke and put up a front about it, but there's almost something quite upsetting about it in the excitement."
"It was a big part of my life. And I'm quite good at blocking things out. But the more I think about it, the more it upsets me. It's a celebration of a different time. It's a time that was.... well, it's gone."
- Tyra Banks Accused of Abusing a Girl on 'America's Got Talent'
- Kanye West Is 'Humiliated' by Kim Kardashian's Deflated Butt
- Fergie Signs With BMG After Quitting Interscope
- Celine Dion, J.Lo, Mariah Carey and Backstreet Boys Will Not Cancel Vegas Shows Despite ISIS Threat
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Enjoy Night Out in Cannes
- Kourtney Kardashian and Younes Bendjima Enjoying 'Wild Sex' in Cannes
- Mariah Carey Is Slammed by Co-Star for Alleged 'Bananas' Behaviour on 'The House' Filming Set
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Begins Mandatory Military Service