Screenwriter Says Sorry for Worst 'Battlefield Earth'
The man who penned the screenplay for John Travolta's 2000 flop "Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000" has apologized to film fans - for writing it. J.D. Shapiro's treatment became the film that was voted the Worst Movie of the Decade at the recent Golden Raspberry Awards, and now the writer has spoken of his shame in an open letter in the New York Post.
The screenwriter states, "Let me start by apologizing to anyone who went to see 'Battlefield Earth'. It wasn't as I intended - promise. No one sets out to make a train wreck. Actually, comparing it to a train wreck isn't really fair to train wrecks, because people actually want to watch those."
Shapiro goes on to explain he met top Church of Scientologist official Karen Hollander at an event and she invited him to turn the religion's founder L. Ron Hubbard's books into movies. Shortly afterwards, he met with Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston - both Scientologists. After reluctantly studying Scientology to research Hubbard's teachings, the screenwriter agreed to "come up with a pitch to take to studios".
Shapiro explains, "I met with Mike Marcus, the president of MGM, and pitched him my take. He loved it, and the next day negotiations went under way (sic). A few days after I finished the script, a very excited Travolta called, told me he 'loved it,' and wanted to have dinner. At dinner, John said again how much he loved the script and called it The Schindler's List of sci-fi."
"My script was very, VERY different than what ended up on the screen. My screenplay was darker, grittier and had a very compelling story with rich characters. What my screenplay didn't have was slow motion at every turn, Dutch tilts, campy dialog, aliens in KISS' boots, and everyone wearing Bob Marley wigs." He concludes, "I penned the s*ckiest movie ever - sorry."
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?