'Avatar' Leads Winners List of Empire Film Awards
James Cameron's "Avatar" ruled Britain's Empire Film Awards on Sunday night, March 28, taking home three of the top trophies. The sci-fi epic won the coveted Best Film honor and Cameron landed the Best Director award, while Zoe Saldana was named the Best Actress at the ceremony in London.
"Inglourious Basterds" star Christoph Waltz won the Best Actor award for his role in Quentin Tarantino's movie, while Aaron Johnson won the Best Newcomer honor for his portrayal of a young John Lennon in "Nowhere Boy". Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes" landed the Best Thriller film award and "Star Trek" won Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy film.
British actor Ray Winstone, Jude Law, Andy Serkis and Sir Ian McKellen all won special awards for their contribution to film, with the "X-Men" star being named Empire Icon, the evening's top honor. He says, "I've played iconic parts - I think that's the point. I played Gandalf the Grey and the White and Magneto. So their luster rubs off on me rather than the other way round."
The list of winners is as follows:
- Best Film: "Avatar"
- Best Director: James Cameron ("Avatar")
- Best Actor: Christoph Waltz ("Inglourious Basterds")
- Best Actress: Zoe Saldana ("Avatar")
- Best Newcomer: Aaron Johnson ("Nowhere Boy")
- Best Thriller: "Sherlock Holmes"
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film: "Star Trek"
- Best Horror: "Let the Right One In (2008)"
- Best Comedy: "In the Loop"
- Best British Film: "Harry Brown"
- Outstanding Contribution to British Film: Ray Winstone
- Empire Hero: Jude Law
- Inspiration award: Andy Serkis
- Empire Icon: Sir Ian McKellen
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed