'Dragon' Sends 'Alice' Down the List in North American Box Office
Gerard Butler's animated adventure "How to Train Your Dragon" has fought its way to the top of the U.S. box office chart with opening weekend takings of $43.3 million. The DreamWorks movie, which also features the voices of Jay Baruchel and America Ferrera, tells the tale of a Viking boy who tames a fire-breathing dragon.
The 3-D film ended "Alice in Wonderland"'s three-week run at number one; Tim Burton's Disney fantasy slips to second place with $17.3 million, taking its total gross in the U.S. to $293.1 million.
John Cusack's 1980s comedy "Hot Tub Time Machine" enters the chart at three after taking $13.7 million, while "The Bounty Hunter", Butler's romantic comedy with Jennifer Aniston, falls from two to four with $12.4 million. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" rounds out the new top five.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for March 26-28:
- "How to Train Your Dragon" - $43.3 million
- "Alice in Wonderland" - $17.3 million
- "Hot Tub Time Machine" - $13.7 million
- "The Bounty Hunter" - $12.4 million
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" - $10 million
- "She's Out of My League" - $3.5 million
- "Green Zone" - $3.3 million
- "Shutter Island" - $3.1 million
- "Repo Men" - $3 million
- "Our Family Wedding" - $2.2 million
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris